Constant Force Window Coil

A contractor from San Francisco says:
Hi,

My sash falls down. I used a fine tool to open up the side of he window (since mine does not have a notch) to remove the constant force window coils to find that my coils were broken.

- There is a letter E on the coils. They are 1/2" wide.
- The white plastic balance cover that the coil sits on has an H on it.
- The pivot shoe not have any markings on it.
- The pivot bar has a 7 on it. I do not have a total length for the pivot bar because it is broken and I can't find the other half but I uploaded a photo of what I have.

I'm looking to buy 2 pivot bars and 2 coils.
I believe I can reuse the balance cover and the pivot shoe.

Thank you,
A contractor from San Francisco says:

I believe I have this shoe based on the specs: The dimensions match as well as the shape and color.

15-175

And I believe I need this Series 152 coil but I'm not sure what weight since mine has a letter E on it: How do I determine the weight? Is it the sash weight divided by 2?

And I'm pretty sure this is the pivot bar I need: the 26-352. Mine is broken and I don't have the other half. I can't tell on the spec page if the 1 5/16" dimension is from the round head or the oval head that sticks out on top. My pivot bar is 1 5/16 from the round head to the center of the hole (1 3/8" from the oval part). Again, mine has a 5 on it.

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, and thanks for your thorough information. I agree with your assessments. Looks like you have our 15-175 Pivot Shoe, which is compatible with our Series 152 Coil Springs. It appears whoever installed the ones you're looking to replace simply used letters to denote the spring weight rather than numbers. The 'E' on your coil springs is equivalent to 5, so see our S152-5, which is meant to support 5 lbs of weight apiece. 

To answer your question, to know what spring weights to choose in the event you didn't have stamps on the coils, you'd need to have an equal amount of support on either side of the window sash, equal overall to the total sash weight. So if your window sash weighed 20 lbs, you'd want (2) of the S152-2 on either side of the sash.

If you need new supports for the coil springs, see our 15-143 Coil Bushing, the 15-145 Coil Support Barrel, and the 15-144 Coil Bushing Cap. As far as your pivot bar goes, the distance is from the very tip of the pivot bar (or the oval head) to the center of the first mounting hole, so if that is 1-15/16" for you, then I also agree that 26-352 makes sense. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.