Contino Pennco window missing or damaged parts

A quick learner from mooresville, nc says:

Good morning. My wife and I just purchased a condo built in 1996 with Pennco windows and in the pictures, you'll see that top clips are missing to catch the channel balance to remove the window and in one picture, you can see the channel balance is jammed at the top because of no clip. That window is therefore not sealed and squared up properly in the sash as noted in another picture attached. Also, I think the lower clips in the window sash channels that clip in the spring mechanism of the channel balance are missing as well and possibly the plastic clips at the top of the channel balances, when closed, are damaged as well? (they appear to be gouged out at the top of the plastic.

Aside from replacing the windows with new windows, I'd like your opinion/recommendations on parts I can order to make these windows function as designed. I apologize for not having the channel balance removed to offer part numbers and size. Plan to do that this coming week. Thanks very much for your review and opininon.

Mike

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named clip missing 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named clip missing.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named play in window with broken channel balance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named broken channel balance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named broken window.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Mike. You absolutely don't need new windows. It looks to me like all you need is a new top sash guide, which is that plastic clip that broke. We can help, but I'll need a photo of an undamaged version of that same top sash guide out of the window and without obstruction. I need to see it from the front and side, specifically; think of it like a mug shot. The video below will go into more detail.

I can't tell if you need new balances or not from these photos. If the top and bottom nylon fittings are broken or damaged, then the answer is yes. We will also need you to remove an undamaged balance and show us the top end, bottom end, and stamp. I will post a second video that clarifies exactly what we need. 

Please watch both videos. They should answer all your questions. 

Thank you for your response and understand the need to see the parts from several angles. I'll review the videos and take pictures for your review. Anxious to get the correct parts and get the windows back in full use. Thank you.
Thanks for the info Tom. Here's photos of the damaged channel balance that measures 29inches with the code stamped on it, 2820. I'll add the photos you're looking for to assess what I need to buy. As a reminder, I have the same size windows missing upper take-out clips and some may be missing the lower clips. Would those all be the same part that I could order. Appears the top and bottom inserts in the rest of the window channel balances are intact. Looking forward to your recommendations.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named channel bal - bottom.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named channel bal - top side view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named code on top of channel bal.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named channel bal- top side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named channel bal - bottom.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. It's still hard to tell from damaged hardware, but I believe you either have a Series 385 or Series 350 channel balance. The only difference between them is the top nylon fitting; the one on the Series 385 has wings while the one on the Series 350 does not. You'll have to determine which one would be a better match.

I don't see your take out clips, but there's a good chance they'll match our 16-002. See if this looks familiar.

A quick learner from Mooresville, NC says:
Thanks Tom. I will pull out a good, working channel balance and take some pictures to send to you. I will also take a picture of a clip so you can determine what I have. Stay tuned. Thanks.
A quick learner from Mooresville, NC says:
Good morning Tom. I opened a "good" window in an attempt to take the window out and get all the pics required of the channel. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when the sash/balance hits the top takeout clips, I can't seem to get the window out. The attached pictures show the window in the up postion at the takeout clips with the bottom of both channel balances still in place. I took pictures of those plastic pieces as the bottom of the balance on both sides. You'll notice they both have flanges or wings on them. I also have a pic of the imprint, m 2820. It appears as though there are bottom clips for the spring mechanism but I can't see them when the window is in the up position. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named round indents in the channel that require force to
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named other side of bottom piece.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottom plastic piece of channel.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named other side channel bal.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named good channel bal.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us, but the bottom nylon fitting wasn't the issue before. It was the top fitting that I couldn't make out, since it was damaged. My recommendation remains the same as before; you might have either our Series 385 or Series 350.

As for removing the balance, I'm not sure why you're experiencing this issue. Please note that the top and bottom nylon fittings are not called take out clips, the take out clip is specifically a little metal clip that will probably look like our 16-002. As long as those are extended on both sides, then once you raise your sash high enough it should just come out. The video below may be helpful to you.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.