Converting Fixed window to Casement window

A home owner from Portland, OR says:
We have 4 wooden fixed windows on a 1927 bungalow. We would like to convert them to casement windows. What kind of hardware do we need, just the 4 bar hinges?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what to recommend without actually seeing what your windows look like. Many casement windows the use hinge sets like our 36-013-10. However, you will have to cut out some of the wood on the sash at the top and bottom of the casement window to accept them (or the sides of the sash for an awning window). You might want to just get a set of hinges like the 23-405 at a local hardware store. As for an operator, it might be easier to install the 39-077 brass adjuster. Keep in mind that for both the operators and hinges, it's not an easy project. You might want the help of a carpenter to do the work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)