Crank Operator (1936)

A quick learner from Phoenix, AZ says:
My house has 12 original steel windows and I'm trying to figure out the manufacturer so I can replace broken/missing crank operators. I've had no luck finding any stamps/manufacturer indicators. The windows are painted shut and I haven't opened them to see if there may be any information inside the window. Any suggestions?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Crank Operator 01.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Crank Operator 02.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Lock Handle (painted).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 09 - East.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This is an incredibly old window. With that in mind, there's a good chance we won't be able to get you a functional operator, but I will do my best.

To start, can you remove one of the original operators from the window and show me a clear picture of it without obstruction? I'm mostly interested in the design of the arm and the bearing at the end of it. I know your window is painted shut, so this is easier said than done, but we won't be able to come up with a possible substitute without it.

In an effort to be transparent, I also want to reiterate that there is a good chance we can't get you a working match for this part. The effort of removing this part to show us may not be worth it for you, at the end of the day, but it's ultimately up to you. I just don't want to get your hopes up.

Hi Tom, thanks for responding. I'm going to try opening one of the windows this weekend. I do have a question since I've never attempted this before - most of the windows are missing their crank operators and/or the turn handles that go in them and the turn handles that are there don't seem to be in good useful condition. Is the handle necessary in order to open the window or will the arm extend just by me pushing on the window?
Profile picture of Tom

As long as the window is unlocked and not obstructed by anything in the frame, you should be able to gently push it open and pull it back in when you're done. It will be more cumbersome but it shouldn't be a problem. 

Hopefully the new photos will work - I was unable to fully remove the operator from the sill because one screw just won't budge, but was able to get the arm disconnected and photographed. If it's not detailed enough, let me know, and I'll try another window. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220604_123230.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220604_123237.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220604_123305.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That is a huge help, thank you! I think we can work with this. 

My first recommendation would be our 39-001 and 39-002 operators. These are somewhat old fashioned, but they mount to your window in a similar way and they even slide along the same sort of track; ours use the 39-504 but they may even be compatible with your original.

The thing I'm most concerned about is how to mount it to your window. I said that it mounts in a similar way but it's not exactly the same; I would wager that the hole spacing on our part differs greatly from yours, and the size of the larger hole in your sill may not be sufficient. With that in mind, this will likely take some handy work to install in your window, even some trial and error, but I think it's the best option we have available. Look it over and see what you think.

Dimensions for 39-001
Dimensions for 39-001

Alternate image for 39-002
Alternate image for 39-002

Thank you! I think the spacing will be an issue, but this at least gives me hope. Do you have any idea if the actual handles on operators are customizable? I have plantation-style shutters on the interiors of the windows to help with the heat/cold and longer handles would be unable to turn. I was wondering if there are compatible tees or folding styles that I could also buy that would fit.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220604_123900.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

They are not, unfortunately. These are still relatively old fashioned (though obviously much newer than your original parts), and as a result there isn't really a folding equivalent for the handles. 

That said, one possible idea is the 39-108 T handle. This has a 3/8" spline, which is good, but it's strictly designed to work on jalousie operators. I'm not sure how well it will work on the 39-001 and 39-002. They're definitely not meant to go together, but it may be worth a shot.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.