Drilling new holes for 40-197?

A quick learner from MInneapolis says:

This post looks very much like the issue I am having, so I'm guessing this part would be the one to order. The old strike plate and screws are lost.

I don't think the 40-197 part would fit into the currently drilled holes since they are only 6.5ish inches apart, so my question is how difficult is it to drill new holes? It looks like the current holes have some sort of threaded part inside...Any advice or tips or tricks?

Thanks so much :)

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3720.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3723.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3724.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3722.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3726.JPG
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:


To install the new keeper I would line up the keeper "holes" with the cutouts in the door jamb. Drill new holes and install a flat head screw like the 33-011 or 33-110, depending on the size and length you need. These types of screws are self "threading". You could also use a longer screw and go into the wood behind the door jamb. However, I would only do that if you find the keeper is not secured.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at help@swisco.com.