Help identifying vertical seal in sliding glass door

A quick learner from Virginia says:

I have a sliding glass door, built circa 1985, that lets in air and noise through the vertical seal where the sliding glass door slides past the frame of the stationary glass panel. I think the problem is that the seal has worn or disintegrated over time, but I cannot figure out what the part would be called.

The first picture is of the door from the inside. The seal in question is olive-drab color and looks like foam or a sponge.

The second picture is a close-up of the seal taken from outside looking into the side of the door.

The last picture is a close-up looking from the inside at the seal on the other side of the glass. You can see where it has disintegrated.

Any help in terms of nomenclature for the part or an actual part would help.


User submitted photos of their sliding door seal.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for submitting your photos.

Could you try and remove the foam weatherstripping from the window and submit a few more photos (including dimensions, height and width of backing).
A quick learner from Virginia says:

Since this is a rental property, I'd like to try avoid removing the weatherstripping unless there's a reasonable chance of a solution.

I did measure it - it's wrapped around the corner of the metal, with about 1/4" on each side. On the side facing the door, there's probably 1/4 bare metal that could be used for wider weatherstripping.

The foam itself looks like it's on an adhesive backing.

There is a gap between the weatherstripping and glass, which is what's letting in the noise/whether. Without removing the door I'd estimate the gap between the metal and the glass to be about 3/8 - 1/2".

Does the door just lift out? I might be able to get a buddy next weekend to help me lift the door out for better pictures/measurements.

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Greg, the patio doors should lift off the track if you need to take them out. Normally they are removed from the outside of the house.

As for the weatherstripping, take a look at the 58-050, as well as the stick-on base wool pile, 58-026.
A quick learner says:
Update: Sorry it took me so long to get around to taking the door off. I've attached a few new pictures which show the existing seals in detail.

It seems there are two seals: one is adhesive-backed and wraps around the corner of the column. The other fits into a groove in the column.

Looks like I could either replace the adhesive-backed weather stripping, or replace the stripping that fits into the groove in the metal. The existing stripping leaves about a 1mm gap to the glass, which is letting in the weather/noise.

Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
The weatherstripping that fits into the groove would be the one we recommend replacing.

Take a look at our Woole Pile section.

Take a small piece of the wool pile out of the groove and give us the base and height measurement.
A quick learner from Arlington says:
Ok! I cut a sample out. Definitely looks like the Wool Pile you sell. A little difficult to measure because it disintegrated whilst removing it from the track, but it looks to be 9/32.

So I'm thinking about going with the Gray Wool Pile, 9/32" x 11/32". Current sample is only about 6/32 tall, but I am trying to close a gap between the glass and pile and 11/32 is the tallest I see here...

Thanks for your help!
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at the 58-099 Wool Pile, it seems to match the dimensions you have listed.

Can you get a good measurement of the width of your wool pile base? That may be a bit easier to determine than the height of the pile (since it is pretty old).

You will want to make sure the replacement wool pile fits nicely into the groove vacated by your original seal.
A quick learner from Arlington says:
Sorry I wasn't clear in the last post - the Width is 9/32, which matches your selection... I will place an order next week!

Are there any good tools for removing/installing this stuff, or just use needle-nose pliers?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
I think needle-nose pliers or a flathead screwdriver should do the trick for you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)