Help repairing old windows

A home owner from Arkansas says:

I have old windows that use Bracket 17-009 and Balance Shoe 15-009 and have had a tough time getting them out and trying to figure out how to replace them.

I have looked at you video on replacing spirals and noticed that they removed Brachets like your # 32 9 (PC17-012).

Since I will be removing all the windows that need to be repaoced it looks to me to drill holes and install #32 brackets would make my life much easier in th future.

I will be installing 2 -15 in and 4-25 in sprials as well as 6 upper guides.

Checking the deminision I believe every thing will fit and I should not need a tightening tool according your video.

Guy

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Guy. My first thought is that I don't believe the 15-009 is compatible with any other brackets, so you may want to keep that in mind. If you show us pictures of your existing balances and brackets, as well as provide the length and diameter of the balance tubes, that would help us confirm further recommendations. 

A home owner from Arkansas says:

The problem that the Balance shoe 15-009 break and they are a pain to get the broken out of thr window frames without removing thw window the sutting the remaing plastc by cutting it. Your diagrams of the Beackett 32 (Pc 17-o12) does show the horizontal distance of the end that recieves the spiral. This is the only thing that is stopping me from ordrting.

Guy 

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can help, Guy. The balances you might need are S500-15 and S500-25. Please check the length of the spiral. The Series 500 spirals are 3/4" longer than the tube. 

In attaching the 17-012 bracket to the bottom of the sash, we first drop the balance tube down from the top on the side of the sash. We screw the balance tube at the top on both sides. Raise the sash and have someone hold it in place. The spiral should have unwound down to the sill. Now take a 17-012 bracket and corral the spiral. That will help in placing the screw holes on the sash. Drill and screw the bracket onto the sash, bring the bow tie at the end of the spiral up to the bracket. Hook the 75-005 tool to the spiral and give the spiral three or four clockwise turns and lock the bow tie to the bracket. Repeat the other side. You might want to screw on some face guides, like 67-002 on the front of the sash to prevent the sash from rocking when operating it.

Let us know if you have further inquiries. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.