Help with window balance replacement

A quick learner from Portland, OR says:
Hi,

The window in the attachment has old coiled spring balances that are needing to be replaced. It is a non-tilt window and there are no identifiers on the balances at all. My understanding is that this type of balance is no longer available and that I should/need to replace them with spiral balances. The specifics of which one is what I need help with.

The lower sash dimensions are: 39 5/8"W x 23 7/8"H x 1 3/4"D
The Channel that the current balance fits into is: 5/8"W
The spring balance O.D. is 9/16"
Not sure of the exact weight of the sash, but my guess is 5-8 lbs.

Please let me know if additional information is helpful. I greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,
Kevin
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi Kevin,

It will require making adaptations but you might be able to use the S500 spiral balance with the 17-012 mounting brackets to anchor it to the bottom of the sash.

To calculate the length, you would need to measure the visible glass height in your sashes and add 3" for the bottom and 1" for the top balances if this is a double-hung window, though I suspect only your bottom sash opens.

You'll also need to confirm the exact sash weight to follow the chart under the balance product description, which will confirm the tip color needed for your replacements. Take a look and see what you think. Thank you!

Thank you so much, Casey! I will follow up accordingly and let you know if I have any additional questions.

Best,
Kevin
Hi Casey,

So the weight of the sash is 14 lbs. and the visible glass height is 19.25". Based on that, am I right to go with a 23" balance? And seems like I can use either a blue or red tip. How do I decide which is best since 14 lbs. is accounted for within the range for both?

Thanks,
Kevin
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Based on your glass height measurement, I would recommend the S500-22 since you would round to the nearest inch. As for your sash weight, you are correct that both red and blue would support a 14-pound sash. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.