House Doctors request

A contractor from Hanahan, SC says:

Hi

I ordered these balances previously they are 31" long 1/2 x 1/2 channel balance. The weight for the sashes should be around 50 lbs as they are hurricane glass.

I will need the large clips for the top of the balance as well

I believe it was a custom order last time

Thanks,

Jack

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190325_164829.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20191015_123722.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named clip end of bal.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. We can replace this balance for you, but it will have to be custom made due to its unique design. There will be a six-week lead time, and keep in mind custom orders are non-refundable. Can you tell me the exact weight of the window sash? We also need an image of the original shoe--preferably completely intact if it's possible. We want to make sure we have this properly identified. From there we can get this going for you. Many thanks.

Hi Bob,
The window is about 50 lbs. I originally attached a picture of the original shoe/balance (green) next to a new one (blue).
Also, the pivot arms they sell on the site are plastic. Can they be made with metal??
Thanks
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the reply and for providing the sash weight; we recommend you confirm it as precisely as you can just to be safe. As far as the older green shoe, is there another balance that has a less damaged version of it you can show us? If not, can you at least show us a close-up picture of the green shoe? The reason we're being particular about this is that we suspect your balance's knife-lock shoes are not the standard 15-014, but instead something specialized like our 15-197. Let us know and from there we'll get this made up for you. 

For your pivot bars, the 26-150 is a zinc version of the 26-151 and 26-152. Take a look and see what you think.

Hi After revisiting this job I found the balances were not broke but just not operating properly.
Is there another option we can go with to install a different type balance?
These balances get caught up in the jamb liner and just aren't working properly but nothing is actually broken.
If we could go with something the same size but a different type that would be great. The S795 or 765 but the key is to have a very strong pivot bar/shoe assembly.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I am afraid neither the Series 765 or the Series 795 balance will not fit into a jamb liner. I am unable to locate a block and tackle balance that can accommodate a 50 pound weight sash. Can we have you give us the stamping that was on the old balance? This will help clarify a few things for us.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)