How to install the Peachtree Series 745

A home owner from Missouri says:
How do i install the Series 745
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We don't have a video on this balance, but I will do my best to walk you through it. The tools you will need are a #8 and #10 screw driver, as well as a pair of needle nose self-locking pliers. We also always recommend safety gloves and safety goggles, because you can never be too careful.

First, remove any exterior loose grids over the glass. You also need to unlock the window lock. Next, remove each of the two screws on either side of the top of the lower sash; this allows you to remove the wooden sash liners by gently lifting it up and out of the window frame. It's very important to remember to lift up before lifting out to prevent the liners from being damaged. Don't forget to do that!

You will now see a vinyl guide bar on either side of the sash being held in with ten screws. Just remove one side. After you remove the ten screws, lift the guide up and off the sash. Note that the sash might be heavy, so it would be a good idea to have a friend help you lift the sash a few inches so you can both get you hands under it.

This post actually ran a little long for our site, so I'll continue the instructions below...

Profile picture of Paul

... continued

Now push the sash towards the jamb where the other vinyl guide is and swing out the sash. It should clear the jamb. You will see the balance channel in the sash and the nylon plug at the end of the cord affixed in the jamb. Unscrew the balance plug in the jamb and, with the needle nose self-locking pliers, carefully pull out the plug and hold on to the cord as it springs back into the balance channel. Use caution as the balance spring might still be under tension. If you let go of the plug, it will shoot back up into the balance and could shatter. Keep a firm grip on it. This is why you want those goggles and gloves I mentioned before. The last thing you want is for that thing to nab onto the skin of your finger as it shoots up, or for a piece of plastic to hit your eye.

Repeat other side of the sash to remove the plug. Once you have, you can now remove the balances from the sash by removing the top and bottom screws. At this time you can also remove the top sash for balance removal.

After you install the balances in the sash, pull the plug a few inches and lock the cord with the needle nose self locking pliers so you can insert plug in the jamb. Reverse the procedure to install the sashes back in the jambs.

A home owner from Missouri says:
Thank You Paul.

I have another question regarding the configuration of the replacement balances you sent.

I have sent a picture of my old balances and the new ones you sent. The 4 balances on the left are my old ones and the 6 on the right are part of the balances you sent. Note that on my old balances, the first two on the left, taken from my lower sash, have the attachment hole which corresponds to the new ones you sent. However the next 2, taken from my upper sash, show the attachment hole much nearer the end of the balance.

My question: Can I simply drill an attach hole in the proper place on the new balance to align with the existing attachment location on my upper sash?

Thanks,
John
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Peachtree_balances_745.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Hello, John. Unfortunately, Peachtree does not put the two holes in the side load balances. Yes, you can drill the corresponding holes on your new balances.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.