I need more of these

A quick learner from Ajo, Arizona says:
These are the only markings I see on it I can't make put the middle part, 30DS ?? 53L,
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 30DS 53L
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0516191059.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0516191058.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can replace this balance but it will have to be a special order due to its configuration. Before we start, I just had a couple of questions.

First, can you show us a clearer picture of the metal hook at the end of the cord? I can't quite make it out in your third photo.

Can you also confirm if your top nylon fitting, shown in your second photo, had wings on the side? It looks like they might have broken off but I'm not sure. If you have an undamaged balance in the same window then you can use that as a reference.

Finally, can you tell me how many you need?

Once I have this information, I'll email you an order link and price quote for the recommended quantity.

Yeah, looks like wings broke off. I need 4 of these
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0521191013.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0521191012b.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Wow, that's not what I was expecting. This is definitely what I asked for but I don't think it's right. What I mean by that is, I think someone may have altered this balance at some point, perhaps as a custom repair. What you're showing me here is a screw tab, which is not meant to be tied to the end of that cord. It should be a hook.

Can you show me the hook for the balance on the other end of the window? If that has its original hardware, we can use that. If it's also a screw tab then we're going to have to do some serious detective work!

Of course, thank you for clarifying about the wings. That is a big help. We just need to get to the bottom of this screw tab. 

It's shorter and the numbers on it are 2960. The sash itself weighs about 30 lbs.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0522191152.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0522191154.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0522191154a.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0522191155.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! This part here looks like an entirely different balance. This is on the same window, right? I definitely think someone tried to repair this in the past and were forced to make a custom job of it. 

So, this may be an issue. Now we have to figure out which of these two balances was the original. I'm leaning towards the first one you showed us, with the 30DS53L stamp. This is an extra strong spring and there's no way someone would use this in a repair job like this. The new balance you're showing me here is a standard part and pretty common. I think whoever repaired this window understandably couldn't find a 30DS53L balance (these are not easy to get a hold of) and were forced to use something that's easier to acquire. This was the wrong move, however; the two balances are not compatible.

Does this make sense to you? Let me know what you think of my hypothesis.

If I'm right, then I'll need you to check to see if you have an identical window in the house that still has all of its original hardware. I need to see those balances to know what you need for this broken window.

I hate to keep sending you out to get us more pictures, but your situation is very unique. We need as much data as we can gather. This will require more detective work than I thought to begin with. Someone really did a number on your window.

I think the first pictures I submitted are the original, and all the ones i've seen have that screw tab. The second set of pictures is what was being used to replace broken ones. This is for an apartment complex, and this was all like this when I started working here. I can't find no documentation for these parts.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. We're going to try to look into the possibility of having the original balance made with a screw tab. I suppose there's a first time for everything!

While we look into the availability of this part, are you able to remove a screw from the bottom clip of the 30DS53L balance? Would it be possible to see what that looks like installed?

I don't see a screw that could be removed, and I can't get a picture of an installed one at this time.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us. Since you say there is no screw, I'm thinking that these somehow hook in. With that in mind, we will be sending you a match for this balance with a 62-108 "butterfly" hook. This would fit into a slot in the jamb track. 

Does that sound good to you? Without seeing how these connect, I cannot be 100% sure this will work, but I'm not sure what else to go with.

What I'll do now is email you an order link and price quote for 2. If you don't think the 62-108 hook wi ll work, though, then let me know. We'll definitely need a photo of your old balances installed.

Could you send that link again, I couldn't follow it
Profile picture of Tom

Oh wow, I'm not sure what happened there. It doesn't look like the link copied over all the way. Sorry about that! I'll resend it right now.

I'm gonna need that quote again so my boss can ok the order. Things got a little hectic and i wasn't able to get the information to my boss
Profile picture of Tom

Sure thing, I just emailed you a new order link. let me know if you have any questions.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)