Identify channel balance

A quick learner from United States says:

My hurricane resistant windows were installed circa 2006. The builder left NO records as to where he bought OR what maker,model ,etc.

These are tilt in windows. Depicted here are one of the 3 which have channel Balance problems. I am an accomplished do it yourselfer. When I get this one identified and repaired I'll be back for help with the remaining windows.

This is a plain channel on the left side of thewindow as one looks out. It is stamped 28F, the length and weight rating. There are no other markings.

The broken parts are missing so the photos are of the intact right hand channel.

Best regards, Joe

Channel Balance

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Joe. Based on your pictures, I believe you have our S770-28 channel balance. Take a look and see what you think.

A quick learner from Pinellas Park ,Florida says:
Tom, I suspected that S770-28F what you just confirmed, Excellent. This is for a 30X27 widow. I have a 22X27 window and a 36X43 window which I will investigate. All my windows are heavy, hurricane resistant. The other 2 have no spring assistance at all so my helper needs to be here, hopefully on Saturday. I will have a complete order ASAP.
Thanks for the help. Joe

Tom, I will need one S770-28F for the previous discussion 27W by 30H window.

I took the 22x27 window out. I need a S770-22E for it.

The 45W by 36H needs the plantation shutters dismounted. A cumbersome task. I couldn't remove the window but managed 2 photos which show 2 channel balances on each side. An S770-32E and a 32D are side by side. A total of 4 balances for the window are needed : two S770-32D and two S770-32.

I am adding the photos.  

Joe.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window45X3620180331_190039[1951].jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window45X36_220180331_185838[1954].jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Oh, this is kind of a weird setup. I didn't realize you had two balances on each side. This is not often done and was likely a custom installation. You can kind of see that the balances seem pretty uncomfortable being side by side like that. 

That's not to say that this setup can't work. It obviously can, since your windows have worked up to this point. Your best bet would be to replace the balances you have with the same stamps and lengths. They should work the same way, though I can't speak for how easy installation would be. Looking at your photos, I can't really see how you're supposed to take the balances out. Do you have enough length in the track to kind of maneuver them out one at a time?

The windows look to be the same manufacture as all the others.SO, I think there is enough length. To snap out the plastic cover, the window need be tilted in to horizontal. Plantation shutters with their frame need be removed before the balances can be seen in full.

Here are 2 more pics. Seeing how they did this, maybe you have a channel balance that can do the work of the 32D-32E combination.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window45X36_320180331_190237[1974].jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window45X36_220180331_185838[1954].jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Assuming these balances have the same metal clip at the end of the cord as the one in your first post, I believe our Series 770 is still the way to go. I don't think we have anything so strong that it can do the work of both a 32D and 32E at the same time. We usually always recommend sticking with the setup you have now, just to be sure.

Tom, As discussed my 43 X 36 tilt window has 4 channel balances a 32D and a 32E on each side. the 32E's have both failed. In each case the pulley mechanism broke where the spring attaches. I wonder if the 5 lb. lift difference between the 32D and 32E could be causing a stress point. If all the balances were the same, say 32D's then the weight is distributed over all for equally, lessening the stress. Your thoughts?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I'm with Tom, this is a weird set up. I'm not quite sure what to recommend. You might be correct when you say the stress of having two different spring strengths on each side of the sash is causing a problem. Did you weigh this sash on a scale? That would help in deciding the spring strength for this twin balance set up.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.