Identify this Champion Window spiral balance

A home owner from Houston says:
It's a green tip and the tube measures 29" long and the tube is 3/8" in diameter.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We can replace these balances for you but it will need to be a special order due to the style of the hook at the end of your spiral that does not come with any of our stock balances. We'll need you to confirm how far the spiral extends outside the metal tube when fully retracted, as well as the quantity that you'd like to order. 

If you need to replace balances that have different lengths and tip colors, please send us those specifications and the quantity of those balances as well. Thank you!

Need 5 green tip- 29" long- 3/8" diameter and
Need 7 red tip- 29" long- 3/8" diameter and
Need 2 red tip- 17" long- 3/8" diameter.

On all of these the spiral extends 2 1/2" past the tube when fully retracted.

Are there instructions on how to replace these balances? When I removed the defective ones there wasn't much room and they weren't easy to remove.
Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! I'll email you three order links and price quotes right now for the requested hardware. 

As for removal, there is no tried-and-true method, unfortunately. It's important to understand that the window manufacturer didn't want you to replace these. They would rather you spend the money on an all new window instead of just a couple small parts. Because of this, the balances are not easy to take out, especially if clearance is an issue. You'll have to do your best to get them behind the sash from the top without bending them. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks Tom... how long will it take to receive the balances? Have you spoken to anyone that was able to replace them from the top?
Profile picture of Tom

We have all the materials in stock so we should be able to make them for you and ship them out within the time frame indicated by your selected shipping option. 

As for other customer's who got this to work, that's a bit of a complicated answer. In short, yes. In fact I've personally been able to install this type of balance in a non-tilt window by sliding it in from the top without any issue.

However, I've also failed to install the balance that way because there wasn't enough clearance. Every one of these windows is a little different and they all need to be messed around with in their own way. This is one of those "won't know until you try" situations, unfortunately. If you struggled to get the balance out, odds are you'll have a hard time getting it in. Whether or not you can get it in without bending the rod is not something that I can predict. You'll just have to try your best. 

I wish there was an easier way, but that's just how these windows are designed.

Ok... well I'll give it a go. Might try a couple first to see how it goes.

Thanks
Will I also need the tension tool?
Profile picture of Tom

It's always a good idea to purchase the tool as well. it will help with the repair and installation of the replacement balances. For the tool, see our 75-006

Profile picture of Tom

A tension tool will definitely make your life easier, especially if this will be an awkward installation. I recommend the 75-005

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)