Having trouble replacing internal tilt latch

A quick learner from Philadelphia says:
Was unable to remove top of frame from the window pane to access the still functioning latch. Is there anything in these photos that would help you identify what I need?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I can't tell much from these photos. Would it be possible to see an undamaged version of your latch removed from the window? To do that, I believe you'll have to snap off the cover that runs along the top of the sash.

Would you also happen to know who made your window? That would be a huge help. Thank you!

Hi Tom,
I was unable to tap off the top of the sash even though I removed the screws that hold it. Do you know if there would normally be anything else holding it on? I was nervous about tapping too hard. And no, I do not know the manufacturer of the window.
Profile picture of Tom

That's okay, it's best not to force it. There may be something else holding it in, but it's a little tough to say since it varies from window to window. Some windows have a screw holding that cover in place, while others just snap on without any screw to speak of. It's one of those things I can't really confirm without being there in person so that I can mess around with it.

If I had to guess as to what the best latch would be, then I would guess our 26-133 and 26-132. I'm not 100% sure of course but I think these parts are still worth considering.

You will eventually have to remove that cap to confirm or even just work on the replacement, though. If that's not possible, or if you don't think you can remove it without breaking it, then we do have a little cheat that you could consider. That would be substituting your latches for a surface-mount latch. The video below should clarify what I mean. It takes a little more work, but it's basically a surefire fix for windows like this.

Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good to me! I agree, that tends to be the better option to choose. Internal tilt latches can be a pain to deal with.

If you run into any issues, or if you had any questions, please let us know. We're always here to help.

Thanks Tom. I decided to go the safer route and ordered surface mount latches. Pretty sure I can deal with that.
Thanks again for your advice.
Ger

Hi Tom,

Got the new 26-320 latches. Thanks. That was quick. Quick question though...I assumed they would come with the appropriate screws which I now see they do not. Can you recommend a type and size I should use?

Ger

Profile picture of Tom

Sure thing! For the 26-320 that you purchased, we usually recommend a #8 x 3/4" screw. However, you have to be very careful when it comes to picking the right length. You don't want to drill too  deep and accidentally hit the glass. Shallower may be better, within reason.

How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.