Kitchen drawer rollers from the early 60's

A quick learner from south elgin, illinois says:
i need to replace some drawer rollers for the kitchen drawers. these cabinet and drawer units were installed in the early 60's. so far i have found nothing locally and hope you can help, i have included two photos to show what i am looking for.

thanks for your time and assistance in this matter.
jon
user submitted photo of kitchen drawer rollers
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hi Jon, thanks for posting with images. I have not seen this type of drawer rollers before. I am going to start researching a replacement for you but I would like some more information. Take a look closely at the drawer roller and the other drawer sliding hardware. Look for any stamps, names or patent numbers on any of the hardware. Respond back here with anything you find. Also, do you happen to know who manufactured your kitchen drawers (sometimes you will find a brand name printed on the underside of the drawer)?
A quick learner from south elgin says:

Tom,

thanks for getting back to me. i have looked in every cabinet and on every drawer, there are no numbers, names or codes... the only stamp i found was : May 1964. since both my parents are deceased, i have no one to ask or find out any more details, sorry.

note : the original rollers were all plastic, the pictures i sent were of a replacement part i found many years ago.

again, thanks for any help.

jon

A home owner from Bowie, Maryland says:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am looking to replace ten 5/8"diameter nylon kitchen drawer rollers (photo below) that were installed in my Levitt-built home 46 years ago. I cannot find them in local stores.

Please advise if your store sells this type drawer roller. If no, please advise who might sell them. Thanks in advance for your response.

Sincerely,
John
User su bmitted photo of kitchen drawer roller.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

John, I've placed you in an existing discussion because I believe you may be able to get some good information from some of the other users in similar situations.

A quick learner from Bowie, MD says:
Wonderful pictures John, I wish I had some in that good of shape. Mike, the ones referenced in the earlier discussion have too wide a diameter. I measured about 3/4" on the drawer slide.
A quick learner from Ohio says:
Has anyone found a replacement for these
rollers ?
A quick learner from Bowie, MD says:
Didn't find replacement. Hubby did modify the system by cutting off the slide on the drawer, replacing with a new one from hardware store (riveted onto the drawer over the cut-off remains). Cut off the roller from the other piece and attached it to the cabinet. Thank goodness for the top center guide. Not a perfect solution, but it works great - nice and smooth.
A quick learner from Kingsport, TN says:
I too am looking for the 1" long, 5\8" diameter metal post with nylon roller drawer glide. They are exactly as pictured in the images above. Has anyone made any progress in finding a suitable replacement? I believe that I could use part 87-191 if the diameter was 5/8" instead of 5/16". Do you have something similar to the 87-191 with at least 1/2" diameter roller?
A quick learner from PA says:
I too am looking for the same roller shown above.. and have been waiting for an answer to kingsport TN's question.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for bearing with us. The 87-193 is similar to the 87-191 and has a 1/2" diameter wheel, so I am afraid it's not quite what you need for this replacement. Apologies for any inconvenience.  

A quick learner from PA says:
I too am searching for these exact same rollers for my parents. Their home was built mid 1960's and the rollers are really worn to almost nothing. Has anyone had any luck finding replacement rollers that work? Please let me know.

Patty
A handy person from Elyria,OH says:
I was able to repair my old drawers with the following:

1. Remove old nylon wheel from the pin.
2. Grind off the lip on the end of the old dowel pin with a grinder/file and finish with sand paper until the new wheel will slip on.
3. Here are the wheels that you can adapt to fit.

4. Place new wheel backward on drawer dowel pin, put in vise and using a file , file until the small end of the new wheel is flush with the end of the dowel pin.

5. Replace dowel pin wheels on dowel pin correct side out and insert into cabinet face, they won't slide off.

A quick learner from Rochester, NY says:
Hi handy person from Elyria, OH,

In #3 above you say, "Here are the wheels you can adapt to fit." I don't see them or anything about them before #4. Would you please clarify?

Thanks,
Quick Learner in Rochester, NY
A home owner from Bowie, MD says:
A homeowner Bowie, MD says: I would like to contact the quick learner from Bowie, MD who said in August 18, 2011:

Didn't find replacement. Hubby did modify the system by cutting off the slide on the drawer, replacing with a new one from hardware store (riveted onto the drawer over the cut-off remains). Cut off the roller from the other piece and attached it to the cabinet. Thank goodness for the top center guide. Not a perfect solution, but it works great - nice and smooth.

I need the same solution, thanks mike
A quick learner from Massachusetts says:
I used 19mm nylon shower door rollers with good ball bearings. I shaved the diameter slightly and beveled them with 'sanding drums' with my drill (a demel might be faster) When correct size to glide smoothly , I used screws that do not have threads near the head (so bearings would turn freely). Then used plastic inserts that fit in the holes (the ones I had that fit I had to trim the length.)
A quick learner from Peoria il. says:
Bought all the stuff at Menards, had to sand the top of the #10 nylon washer to fit slot of roller insert. (#10nylon washer, 1/4 inch nylon bushing, 10-32 lock nut 10-32x1 inch tapered (phillips head screw) 10-32 pressed wood insert.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-10/4/2023, 11:35:05 AM.png
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.