LEGACY KEYED HANDLE SET, 3-15/16" (1-1/8" TO 2-1/2")

A home owner from nashville, tn says:
just purchased this to replace broken lock in my glass sliding door. my door has a two-point mortise lock system.
Upon installing the legacy keyed handle set, both the key and internal lock cannot lock properly and get jammed. it seems that it isn't strong enough to turn the mortise lock and sufficiently lock the door. please assist.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi there. Did you also replace the mortise lock? If not, have you to test the mortise lock by removing the handle set and then attempting to manually 'flip' the lock with a flathead screwdriver? If it fails to flip, then the mortise lock itself is broken and needs to be replaced. If that's the case, show us pictures of the lock and we'll try and identify a replacement for you. If the lock is fine, however, my only thought is that there could have been an issue in installation. See the video below for installation of a similar legacy handle set, the 82-034, for reference. Let us know what you think.

A home owner from nashville, tn says:
Hey Bob thanks for your reply. I did remove the mortise lock and test it before I installed the new handle, and the lock was turning just fine.

I trimmed the two spindles a bit so that they could both be flush with the door. Is it possible that I trimmed them too short therefore the key/lock doesn't have enough leverage to turn the mortise lock?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

That is possible, unfortunately. What you can do to test this is to remove the mortise and the handle set from the door, then manually insert the thumb lever of the handle into the mortise to see if it can turn it if it were deeper in. If it can, then the spindle is too short. Try that out and let us know.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)