Looking for Caldwell Window Sash Balance part

A quick learner from Indiana says:

I am looking for the proper part to replace with balance part for a non-tilting window sash. Can you help? I measured the sash that the channel balance is used for and the length of the sash is 30". I also measured the full length of the channel balance that I have including the plastic end pieces and that total length is 29".

I am thinking the Top winged piece is part number 19-005.

The bottom piece is part number 15-005. The only difference I see is that the bottom plastic piece that I have is 15/16" whereas the 15-005 piece is 1" (from bottom to top of piece).

The weight of the sash that I have is 20.8 lbs.

I am thinking that the Series 380 with the 2640 option will work but I am wondering if I should use a 27" or a 28" channel.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel Stamp and  Length Measured 28 and one half
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Clip.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Metal Channel Measured.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Winged Bottom Guide.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Winged Top Guide Measuredx.png
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. The stamp on the metal channel indicates you have a channel balance that is 27-1/2" long. Please confirm. Measure the metal channel, but do not include the nylon fittings in this measurement. If this is indeed the case, this is not a stock item but we can provide it for you via custom order. We'll just need to also confirm the bottom nylon fitting. It is likely either the 15-005 1" shoe or 15-029 7/8" deep shoe. Please double-check your old shoe's depth to confirm. If it's 7/8", none of our stock balances use the 15-029, but that is something else we can provide in this custom order. Finally, how many balances do you need? We will proceed from there. 

Bob, Thanks for getting back to me on this.
You are correct the bottom nylon fitting is indeed a 7/8" deep shoe. the 15-029 is the correct part for that fitting.
The top piece is the 19-005 fitting.
I re-measured the metal channel and it is 28 1/2" long (measuring only the metal part).
I've uploaded better photos of the top and bottom nylon pieces.
The total length of the balancer, if I include the nylon fittings, is 29 1/2"
The weight of the sash is 20.8 lbs.
I am going to need enough channels for seven windows (14 total channels)
Best Regards,
Gerry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottom Piece.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named TopPiece.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. For these 27-1/2" balances, a stamp of 27305 (which is equivalent to your balances stamp of 27 1/2 3) would support a sash that weighs only 13 through 19 pounds. If the sash indeed weighs 20.8 pounds as you report, then you'd be better off with balances stamped 27405, which will support a sash in the weight range of 19 through 26 pounds. It sounds like you precisely measured this weight, but you can double-check if you wish to be safe. I just sent you an email with a purchase link to order 14 of these balances stamped 27405, with the 19-005 Top and 15-029 Bottom attached. I encourage you to review all details before proceeding to purchase, and let me know if you have any other inquiries. 

Bob,
Is the metal portion of that 27405 stamped balance a length of 28 1/2" ?
Also I am going to want to add 18 Take Out Clips to that order part no. 16-002. Do I just add that to the cart after I add the custom order that you created to the cart.
Best Regards,
Gerry
Profile picture of Bob

Apologies for missing that length! Let me double-check this quote and I'll get back to you ASAP. Sorry for the mix-up. 

Profile picture of Bob

Okay, I've just shot you an email with the proper quote. This is for fourteen(14) 28-1/2" balances with the 19-005 Top and 15-029 Bottom attached. The mix-up came from the stamp. The replacement stamp will read as 28305 instead, which means the balance can support a sash in the weight range of 16 through 23 pounds. Please disregard my first email with a purchase link and use this most recent one instead. Let me know if you have any other questions prior to placing this order. 

Bob,
I see that these are non-refundable. I am a bit concerned. If they are damaged in shipping or if the items that are received are not actually 28 1/2" channels with the specified end pieces or they do not support the specified weight, what is the refund policy under those conditions?

I see also that there is an eight week lead time on them.

I am considering just getting a standard 28" Series 380 and the 3/32" x 5/8" rivets and popping my existing nylon foot out and replacing it with the foot that I already have on the existing channel. I know that channel will be 1/2" shorter but I am thinking that will not be a problem. The standard channels are only $9.75 vs $15.15 for the custom ones. And I can get them in about a week. What are your thoughts on that?

Profile picture of Bob

Unfortunately, channel balances of different lengths are not interchangeable at all. They will not properly fit the jamb track. I am afraid the only thing that will work for you are the exact replacements. 

I had my product director double-check these balances; I am totally confident we have written up the quote for what you need. If any issue did happen with shipping, we would of course work it out with you. The non-refundable label really means that these custom balances are not eligible for our typical Return Policy; but if something unexpected and unfortunate happens, we will work it out. 

The lead time on these balances is approximately 5 to 6 weeks; unfortunately it takes some time to get the right-sized balances prepared, assembled, and sent out. 

I apologize for any inconvenience. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Bob,
Thanks for your response and for double checking the balances. I added some take out clips to the order and went ahead with the customer balances order.

I really appreciate all the effort you have taken to help me sort this out.

And I like the way Swisco provides information on the web site. I've looked at a lot of hardware sites (including amazon of course) and your site is a hundred times more informative and easy to navigate. I have a neighbor that is also looking at fixing his windows and I will make sure to mention Swisco to him. (He's a do it your self kind of guy too.)
Best Regards,
Gerry
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Gerry. Thanks for the very kind words. The goal of our company is to make this process as easy as it should be, so it's always nice to hear we're doing our job and things are working as they should. Let me know if you ever have any other questions, and thanks again for reaching out. 

Bob,
I just thought I would let you know that I received the channel balancers and they fit perfectly. An exact match to the original. Thank you for helping me sort out this custom balancer. Very much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Gerry
Profile picture of Bob

Great to hear Gerry! Glad they worked out for you. Let us know if you ever need anything else. 

How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.