MI Windows (Mfr Code MTL-5) Series 165 SH Channel Balance (Stamped on channel: 29B BSI TB)

A home owner from New Braunfels, Texas says:

Need 2 channel balances for MI Window (single hung tilt). Channel is 29" (metal edge to metal edge). Has a small rectangular nut at end that pulls out to attach to window slide piece (see photos). The channel is ribbed and is only 7/16" wide

Pls advise if you have replacement parts.

Thank you,

Kevin

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190604_151312.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190604_151037.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190604_151017.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Kevin! We can replace this balance, but it will have to be a special order since it has a bit of an odd configuration. Basically, we'll be using a ribbed channel balance with a 15-143 terminal clip tied to the end of the cord. Does that look good to you? 

I'll email you an order link and price quote for 2 of these balances right now. If you had any questions, please let me know!

Can a standard 9/16 channel be used? The ones that came have about a 1/8" slop in the window frame. With my luck a custom channel would not work. I have the nut that ties to the string and also have the pivot shoe. Just need the channel assembly.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window channel gap.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I don't believe any standard balance will replace this. We also advice against trying to swap out the rope on a balance yourself. These are meant to be installed at the factory.

Is it possible to send you the old channel balance to see what it looks like to determine the proper replacement? Don't want to order one that will not work. I re-measured the old one and it is 7/16" and wide and 3/8" deep and 29" long. Most of the replacement channels I see are usually 9/16" wide and 5/8" deep which would be too large.

Thanks,

Kevin

Profile picture of Tom

You can if you wish, but I don't think it would tell us anything new. There aren't any details that your photos don't already show us. If you wish to send us a sample, you can see our address on our Contact Page.

I'll be sending the old to see whether you need to special order or have a stock one to fit. Thanks for the replies.
Profile picture of Tom

I can guarantee you right now that there is no stock balance that will fit. We don't have anything that has the same skinny ribbed metal channel as yours. I'm afraid that having your balance in hand will not change that. Unless you gave us the wrong metal channel width in your original post, there's no getting around a custom order, unfortunately.

Yes, I figured it was a small channel that would be hard to find. The old one should reach you Friday. Pls advise what I need to do to order the replacement ones once you receive my old channel.
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! I just got your sample in the mail. It's what we figured it was. No standard balance can replace this, so it will have to be a custom order. You can use the order link and price quote that I emailed you back on the 7th.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)