Milgard Windows spiral balancers

A quick learner from Seattle says:
I recently purchased a 1981 house with Milgard metal windows. A number of the balancers are bad, and I would like to replace them. I have removed one, and there are no identifying marks on it, but it is 27" long by 9/16" DIA with a plastic tube and no visible endcap. The top is simply screwed in the frame, where the bottom is clipped into a hole in a tab at the bottom of the window (shown removed from window in photos.) The sashes are not removable, so I cannot weigh them.

Any ideas on what would be the correct replacement balancer and clip?


Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2018-07-05 16.10.21.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2018-07-05 16.09.43.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Jim. We can make this balance, but it will have to be a special order. Before we begin, can you tell me the color of the tip at the end of the balance? If you can't make it out, or if you don't have one, I'll need the exact weight of the sash. I know the window cannot be removed, but you'll have to find a way. Try placing the scale on the sill and gently lowering the sash on top of it. It won't be exact, but it's better than nothing.

Without this information, we won't be able to provide you with the correct spring strength, which means the new balances won't work. It's very important.

Finally, can you also tell me how many balances you need?

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)