Milgard bathroom window seals

A quick learner from Manhattan Beach, CA says:

We have two bathroom crank style Milgard windows that are about 20 years old with deteriorated seals as shown in the attached pictures. The replacement seal that Milgard sent us is shown on the right in the "detail" picture and the OEM deteriorated seal is on the left so the replacement seal that they sent is clearly incorrect. Do you have any replacement seals that might work and if so do you need me to make additional measurements with my calipers?

-Thanks! Russ

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Milgard upstairs powder room window.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Milgard bathroom window seal.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Milgard window seal detail.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Russ. I couldn't find any weatherseal exactly like your two samples. That said, I wonder if you could use our 58-200 to replace both of them. It's similar in design and size, though I'm not 100% sure. Look over our dimensions and see what you think. If you want, you can also order a sample of it here if you wanted to try it out first.

Profile view of 58-200
Profile view of 58-200
Thanks...I ordered a sample!

-Russ
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Great, thank you! Please let us know if it works for you.

It seems like the 58-200 sample seal that I received will work OK as shown bottom left in the first attached picture except that it's loose in the track per the second attached picture showing the 58-200 on the left and the Milgard OEM seal on the right. Do you have any other ideas for how to address this problem? Thanks, Russ
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Swiscon 58-200 window seal.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Swisco 58-200 vs. Milgard OEM window seals.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid we don't have anything else with such a large kerf. All of our other bubble and foam seal kerfs are 1/8" wide at their largest. They would only be looser.

I was really hoping the 58-200 would work, since it's the largest we have. Could you possibly use a little silicone caulk?

Yes I think that's what I'll do so I'll place a 58-200 order. Thanks, Russ

Happy to help, Russ. Please let us know if that does the trick.

One question I have is about mitering the corners of the weather stripping on the window. Do I just cut the 58-200 at a 45 degree angle and hope for the best in conjunction with the silicone caulk or can I use my heat gun to seal the mitered joint? Or should I glue it?

Cutting the seal at a clean angle is usually enough in most cases. If you aren't confident that it will, then either of your suggestions would potentially work. I personally would only use a heat gun if nothing else works. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.