Miller (?) California Sliding Glass Door Handle

A home owner from Herscher, IL says:
The house was built in 59. The door is original. There is a lable at eye level on the stationary part of the door that says (I think) Miller California. It is in the center where the two meet.
The handle is chromed steel with a plastic piece inbetween which you grab on to. That snapped on the outside of the door. It looks like the handle will need to be removed to reinsert a new piece.
Are you familar? Do you have anything that will work?

Thanks,
Kevin
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Kevin, please submit a few photos of your handle so we can take a look.
A handy person from Manchester Connecticut says:
Mike
I need a replacement door handle assembley for a Miller California 6'sliding glass door. Home is a 1964 ERA build.I have attached a few pictures.
Bill
User submitted photos of door handles.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for your patience in this matter. I'm afraid we weren't able to find an exact match for this door handle. However, you might want to consider substituting with our 82-005 surface-mount handle and lock kit. This comes with a keeper, so you can mount that directly on your door jamb in the appropriate spot.
A home owner from Herscher, IL says:
Would this replacement handle just "bolt up" or would it require drilling or other modifications to the door or frame/jam.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
It depends on what the distance is between your existing handle's installation holes, center-to-center. For the 82-005, this measurement is 4-15/16". If yours does not match this, then you might want to contact a local locksmith to help you out.
A home owner from Olympia Fields, IL says:
We have the exact same door handle in our 1957 ranch. Sadly, the clear acrylic handle snapped last night... I know the above was an old inquiry, but I'm looking everywhere to find an exact match for a replacement.

Any leads help! Thank you.

-m
A handy person from Connecticut says:
Both of my exterior handles shattered over the years. I replaced with wood dowels. Required very little modification.Very careful cutting of length and a little sanding to make snug fit. Stain or paint as desired.
A professional from Massachusetts says:
I have 24 of these doors and looking to see about getting the litte catch the the latch catch's on.
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, I don't think the catch is made anymore. Most parts for this door are totally obsolete. The hardware suggested above remains our best and only replacement option.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.