Mortise latch match for Legacy Handle set

A home owner from USA says:
I am considering purchasing the 82-074, but am unsure about which mortise latch to get. Are any/all of the 82-xxx series compatible with this handle set? The original mortise fell into the door due to broken vinyl at the mounting screws, so I don't know the exact original dimensions. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Many of our mortise locks are compatible with the 82-074, so it's hard to say what will work for you. The most common option is our 82-218. If you want, you can take a picture of the edge of the door where this lock would install and we can try to come up with something for you. I would also like to know the distance between the installation holes, center-to-center.
A quick learner says:
Here is a picture of the side of the door. Looks to be 3 15/16ths originally for the mortise mounting holes, but I expect I'll have to get a mortise with a longer mounting distance due to the damage. The handle set is 3 15/16ths mounting holes.
User submitted photos of a mortise lock.
It looks like your door was made to use the 82-218 mortise latch. Take a look at the 82-227, which has wider mounting holes. You might be able to mount the face plate on the door using a flat head machine screw with a nut and washer on the inside of the door. Then, just reattach the mortise latch. You could try to install the face plate using a sheet metal screw, but I think the vinyl wall of the door might be to thin. Take note that the face plate installs on the outside and will back the door off the jamb by 1/8". This could cause a problem, but it's hard to say for sure at this point.
A quick learner from Oak Ridge, TN says:
Thanks for the advice. I don't think the 1/8" will be a problem, as I have some wiggle room in that regard. So finally (just to be sure), the 82-227 mortise latch will work with the 82-074 handset if I get it all aligned correctly?
Yes, these two parts are compatible. Let me know if you are able to get it to work!
A quick learner from Oak Ridge, TN says:
Received my order today and installed it this evening. Everything worked great! Thanks so much for your knowledgeable assistance. Couldn't be happier!
Oh, that's great news! I was hoping it would. If you need anything else, let us know and we'd be happy to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)