Need balances for Simonton window

A handy person from Pittsburgh, PA says:
Need to replace the balances in a Simonton double hung window. Can you tell me which balance to purchase based on the numbers on the window (see attached photo).
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2048.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2051.JPG
Profile picture of Kathleen
Kathleen from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I'm not able to identify your balance based off of numbers from the window. You can view or balances here or just send us a photo of the balance and we'll be happy to look them over.

I removed one of the balances and will attach new photos of the balance. There is no number on the balance itself. The dimensions of the balance are: Overall, spring and shoe the length is 2.5". The ID of the spring coil is 13/16" and the OD is 1.25" the thickness of the coil is 3/16". Hopefully this is enough info for you to identify. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2059.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2060.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2061.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Perfect, thanks! I recommend our 15-155 shoe, Series 170 coil spring, 15-156 cover, and 15-157 drum. Let me know what you think!

Tom: Which of the 9 coil springs in the 170 series should I be using?
Profile picture of Tom

It would depend on what's stamped on them now. I can't make out a stamp in your photos, but check each spring. Hopefully they haven't faded away from time and friction.

If they have, then you'll have to give me the exact weight of your sash. We can do a little math to calculate the best spring option.

Upon closer inspection there is a stamp slightly visible after cleaning. The stamp reads: 408 with a J under then number. Does that help?
Profile picture of Tom

Yes it does, thank you.  That would be our S170-408. Take a look and let us know if you have any further questions. 

Will I need a "Right Hand" and "Left Hand" pivot shoe or does one fit both sides?
Profile picture of Tom

It will work on both sides. It is not direction specific, therefore, it can be used on either side.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)