Need balances to fit Caradco wood clad windows built around 1980

A home owner from Brooklyn Michigan says:

I have a house full of Caradco windows. The windows are still in great shape but many of them need the balances and balance shoes replaced. Also so have several that have glass seals broken and foggy. Your help would be appreciated.Pictures enclosed.

Thanks

Tim

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Tim. SWISCO can't fix glass, but a local glass shop should be able to replace the foggy glass unit.

As for the balances, you'd need to remove one from the window to show us the ends in order to identify it. You could also use our channel balance guide to try to discern for yourself.

Profile picture of Tom

I can't tell if the window tilts in, but here are two video guides for the two different types of balances:

Ben,

Thanks for your reply. How you have a video of how to remove the balances on this type window?

Tim
The videos are not of the same window these have the Caldwell jambliner in them. I am not sure it I can remove the balances with out removing the jambs. I have added more pictures sorry the need rotated 180 degrees.
Profile picture of Tom

Oh, I see, my apologies. Yes, these are a less-common type of balance where the balance is held into the jamb liner. Remove the jamb liner to slide the balance out!

I am not sure the best way to remove the jambs from the window is there any videos showing how to do this?

Thanks
Tim
Profile picture of Tom

Hi, Tim. I had to track that video down for you. Here you go!

Great thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Anytime! Don't hesitate to reach out with any additional questions.

Ben

The video was great and a big help. I do have the 751 balances in my windows. the balances are marked on top with a number like 20 but balance length is 21".i am enclosing picture. Looks like I need 36 balances marked 20, four marked 16 and 16 marked 28. do you sell the jambliner also? has there been any improvements to these balances? you have been a great help and I do appreciate it.

Tim

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1754.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1757.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1758.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1760.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Tim! Having the length be 1" longer than the marking is normal. For example, if you look at the stamps for our S751-21, they are "20HD," "20R," and "20TG." These stamps indicate the calibration of the spring and are not a direct representation of any physical measurement. If you cannot determine what stamp you need, you'll have to weigh your sash on a scale and refer to the chart on each balance's page.

We do not sell jamb liners, unfortunately, You'd have to contact the original window supplier to replace those. As for improvements, they haven't really made any changes to how these are designed in a long time. In my experience they typically last 5-10 years, depending on how often the window is used and assuming they have the proper stamp option.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.