Need correct Pella part to replace the casement window operator, operator cover, and crank.

A quick learner from Plainfield, NH says:
I have a very difficult time cranking this window open or shut. I think the operator has to be replaced, but which one is correct? I can't see the part that's under the wooden casement. It's cold enough here that I can't remove the window without a replacement to be had; we like to open/close it at night, though, as it's in our bedroom.
Thanks for your help!
I"ve watched videos on how to replace the part. Hope it's really that simple and the hardware isn't at fault, like being bent or something. I used to think that, but now realize it's most likely just the operator and crank.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1067 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1065 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1066 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1068 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1075.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looks like someone installed a casement window sideways to make a slapdash attempt at an awning window. I would bet that's at least half the reason why you're having so much trouble. This really isn't the best job. They should have installed an actual awning window here to save you the trouble you're having now.

If you want to stick with what you have, I recommend the 39-176 operator. This will replace your old one. However, you should consider looking into getting an all new window. I can't imagine what further complications you'll run into later down the line.

well, that would run into a lot of $$$ because the whole house has windows like that, with the two beside the picture window being the only exceptions. Why aren't they ok? What kind of problems do you see in the future?

Thanks for a response.
Donna
Profile picture of Tom

The main issue is just that casement operators aren't made to hold windows up like that. They're meant to hold casement windows, which open from the side like doors. Awning windows have a lot more pressure on the operator itself since the work of gravity and the weight of the sash are working against it.

In addition to that, most awning windows in this size have operators installed dead center on the sill. That allows them to comfortably open and close the window from the best possible structural position. You only have one operator on the side (the side being the bottom on a normal casement window), which means the operator is at a very awkward angle. There's also very little to support the sash on the left side of the window (or the top, in normal circumstances).

I don't expect them to all fail overnight. Your windows have probably been working fine like this for years. However, it's not the way they're meant to work. You can expect parts to wear out earlier than they otherwise might due to the increased strain. Think of your operator like a man who lifts boxes for a living. Instead of lifting with his legs, he's been lifting with his back all this time. He can still do his job, but he's going to have to see his chiropractor soon enough.

Thank you for the lesson. All those windows were in the house when we bought it, and I knew nothing about them. Glad to know now!
So, at first, I was thinking that maybe I should just get a crank handle. Does the problem also manifest itself within the operator, so I should replace all parts?

Thanks so much.!
Donna
Profile picture of Tom

The operator is almost definitely the part at fault here. Your handle is honestly probably still in good condition, those last for a long time. Or, to put it more precisely, if there is a problem then the gearing in the operator is going to fail before the handle does. It's very rare that the handle fails first.

A good way to confirm for sure is to get a handle off of one of the other windows in the house and try it on the problem operator. If it works again, then that proves that the handle is the issue after all. If you run into the same problem, though, then it's the operator that needs to be replaced.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.