Need help with pivot lock shoe ID

A quick learner from Somerville, MA says:
Hello,
Your 15-015 has the right outside dimensions, but I'm not sure about the size of the pivot bar pocket. My pivot bar has a stamped U shape, 0.315 wide by 0.190 high. The pocket in the shoe is about .33x.22. Will the 15-015 accept the pivot bar I have?

Also, my spring balances are unlike anything on your web site. They have a plastic sheath over the spring instead of an outer metal tube. The diameter is 0.530. I assume that I should just use a 3/8" replacement balance, and go with the next higher whole inch length, correct? (mine are 27 1/4" from the attachment end to the base of the plastic plug.

Thanks for your help!

-Gary
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello there, Gary. I am actually more inclined to recommend our 15-118 pivot shoe as a replacement with the blue cam and white rear brake. Normally the balance system that is used with this shoe is the Series 600 spiral balance. Early balances made used the plastic covering over the coil springs. We would like to see the balance system you are currently using and show us exactly what you are measuring that gets you the 27-1/4" balance length.

Hi Paul,
Here are a couple shots of my spiral balance, one with the plastic sheath cut back so the plastic tip is visible, and the second with the cut-off piece back on to show how much was covered by the full sheath.
By the way, my pivot shoe has a black brake which doesn't show in the photo. I don't know if that makes a difference in identifying it.
Thanks again!
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks for the photos of your spiral balance. You should be able to go with the S600-28 spiral balance with a blue tip. For the color of your brake in the pivot shoe, the color isn't a critical factor when replacing this kind of part. I would go with the 15-118 as a replacement. 

Profile picture of Paul

Great! Thanks for coming to SWISCO.

Thanks, Paul! I'll get an order in shortly.

-Gary
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.