Need window balance and shoes?

A quick learner from Ellijay says:
Hello, I have several windows throughout our house with broken balances. I have took out 1 balance and included the pictures. I need help figuring out which balance you offer that would replace this one? I also took some pictures of the shoes, I would like to replace those as well if you have them?

Thank you for your time and help, Brandon
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3997.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3998.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3999.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4001.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4002.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Based on your photos, I believe you can use our Series 770 channel balance. This has the same style clip at the end of your cord, so I think it'll be a good option.

As for the shoe, I think our 15-219 looks like a good match, too. Let me know if you agree.

Thank you for you response. I agree, those do look like what I need! Is there a secret to removing the shoes from the window track?
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Glad to hear Tom was able to offer some help! We have videos that cover how to remove the shoes. Maybe one of these can help you. And as always, let us know if you have any more questions. 

Thank you, those videos are very helpful! Last question I hope..... I have attached another picture of my balance. I measured and the overall length is 28", but the numbers on the balance make me think maybe it's a 27"? Also is the letter "c" correspond with the weight?

Thank you, Brandon
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 89FF927D-8360-4A88-9340-9595E69B2F96.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Brandon! So, balance stamps are kind of weird. They tend to vary between manufacturers, who all interpret them differently. What I mean by that is, don't take what I'm about to tell you as the rule for all balances in your house. 

With that out of the way, the first two digits being one less than your length is normal. The reason is kind of dumb, but the logic is that those first two digits represent the height of the visible glass for the sash the balance supports. This is probably important from a technical standpoint and I'm sure they had good reasons for going that way, but I have no idea what those reasons are and it's not important anyway. That's for the engineers to know; I'm just a handy man!

Here's the confusing part: the manufacturer who makes our Series 770 balances does it differently. The first two digits simply represent the length of the channel, easy peasy. This method is relatively uncommon, even if it makes more sense. That's just how this industry gets sometimes. 

The "C" does represent the calibration of the spring, yes. This represents a range of sash weights that your balance pair can support. There's a very good chance that you simply have a 28C stamp, which carries 18 through 23 pounds. You can always weigh your sash on a scale to confirm if you wanted to be 110% certain.

Hopefully that clears things up. I know its confusing! After you see these balances every day for years and years like I do, you start to get a sixth sense for what's what.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.