Need window help

A home owner from MS says:
Hello,

We have plastic that has broken on the sides of some of our windows in the track and the sash stops have popped off of some. See the pictures. The broken plastic pieces have slid back down between the window and frame or sometimes they tilt outward. Sometimes if both sides are broke the window will not stay open. There isn't a name or number on the windows. They are single hung and the lower glass tilts inward for easy cleaning. They are about 13 years old. We need help with replacement parts and how to measure and install. My husband will be doing the repairs.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Without Sash stop.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Normal.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Looks like you might need to replace your spiral balances. The spiral balances are the tube-shaped parts within the jamb track. They are spring-loaded mechanisms that enable the opening and closing of the window. We can help you replace these, but we will need the following information:

• Pictures of a spiral balance removed from the window. Photos of the bottom tip are most important. 
  • The length of the outer tube, not including that bottom tip.
  • The diameter of the outer tube.

From there, we should be able to identify what you need. See the videos below for more details.  

Thanks, Bob! I'll send the info as soon as we can get the window apart. Since we do not have the special tool is there something else we can use to remove the spring?
Profile picture of Bob

Anything you have that can hook into that hole you see at the tip will do. You can use needle nose pliers, though they're a little clumsy. I've even used a coat hanger in a pinch.

Hi Bob. Our spring has a white plastic tube covering that comes off. That is what we measured for "length of the outer tube, not including that bottom tip." Was this the correct thing to measure or should it be the spring itself? Do you carry these plastic tube coverings? Let me know if you need more pictures. I have one more showing both pieces side by side full length but was limited on the number of pictures I could upload.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190501_121951.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190501_122001.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190501_122142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190501_122202.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190501_122517.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

No, you don't want to measure the spring. You only want to measure that white tube. It's the same as our metal tube, just made of a different material. It's not a cover, it's physically part of the balance. If the top hadn't deteriorated like it has then it wouldn't have been possible to remove it.

What size do we need to order? 3/8" x 35"? One end looks white and the twist end looks yellowish. What is the part number?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If the diameter of the tube is 3/8" and the length is 35", then you want our S900-35. Your colored tips look like they were once white but discolored with age. I recommend weighing your sash on a scale and getting the precise weight, then referring on the chart on the S900-35 store page. Better to be 100% sure what you have.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)