New window balances for tilt window

A home owner from Port Clinton, Ohio says:

I have a double wide home that is 16 years old. It has the Kinro windows.The windows have been impossible to open for the past 5 years. Aren't windows supposed to last longer them 11 years? I don't know if I need all new windows, or just parts. A friend told me that I probably need new balances for the windows? Would replacing the balances make the windows work? They are impossible to open, I have to kneel on the window seal and push up with both hands. They make a lot of noise also. I have to be able to open me windows with ease. Can you please help me. I removed 1 of the balances, it is 26 inches long. I measured the way your website said. It is 3/8 wide can not tell what color the tip is or was, it is faded out. The weight of my window is 15 pounds. If the balances is what I need, would the windows work easier if I would get balances that holds more weight?? I have 5 windows that are 35 1/2 x 53 4 windows that are 29 1/2 x 53 and 1 that is 45 x 35.The first measurement is the width of the window. The 26 inch balance is out of the 35 1/2 x 53 inch windows. Please let me know if I need all new windows or if balances is what I need. And how long should new balances last?? Windows are tilt 

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Being 11 years old, the lubricate on the spirals inside the 3/8" balance tubes may have dried up. You could try adding white grease to them and working the spiral in and out of the tube. You will need the 75-006 charging tool to help in adding tension to the balance and attaching to the pivot shoe. See our media guide on this page to further help you. The 26" balance tube you have would be our S900-26 and for a 15 lbs. sash, you can use red tip which is more than enough for your sash weight. You can use S900-26 for all your 53" high windows. The 35", might be 17", but it is better to physically measure it and weigh the sash.

Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.