No brand name on my sash spring

A handy person from Knoxville, TN says:
I can't find any brand name on this. It is on the bottom sash of a bathroom window that is about 20" wide by 17" tall (measurement for just the bottom sash)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 30C3E815-EC16-4719-99CD-CE66F548770D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FB3F2F67-5A00-46E0-BBE9-3B7E91E9C9EC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 23B46224-F640-4DB9-8943-F45C13A098BA.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looks like you have an older style coil balance. These probably aren't made anymore, but we'll do our best to find a modern replacement. Before we go any further, can you remove the pivot shoe from the window and show me a photo of it by itself? Can you also tell me its width and thickness? I'd also like to know the thickness of the spring itself, and whatever number is printed on it. Let me know!

There is no easy way to get the pivot shoe out of the window channel. The manufacturer did not provide a wide area in the frame. The other part was flexible enough that I was able to get it out with a large screwdriver and not bend the frame. Am I missing something ?
Profile picture of Tom

We offer two different videos showing two different methods on how to remove pivot shoes from the window. Take a look at the videos below and see if either one of these videos can help you remove the part.

The videos helped a lot. Got the pivot shoe out and it measures 1 9/16 inches tall at the longest point, 1 1/4 wide by 1/2 inch thick. The spring is 1/2 inch wide as well. Nothing is printed on it except for the patent.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 69DB3196-C1B8-471F-BBFA-E7F654D5BEE5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EB51EE5A-7543-4BC4-AE39-B2B47E43BFDB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 651D728D-8C00-436D-8C18-73CEB77D88C7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F099B682-B24B-4FBB-8075-30E5A37E6534.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! I recognize this now. I actually just had a customer earlier this month who needed the same thing. Now, the bad news is that these aren't made anymore. The good news is, we have a replacement option that we think has a good chance of working. It's no guarantee, but I think it's worth considering.

See our 15-199. This appears to be our best candidate. It's 17/32" thick by 1-1/4" wide and is compatible with our 1/2" thick Series 160 spring. It's also meant to be used with either our 15-150S, 15-150D, or 15-150T cover depending on how many springs are used in each side. It looks like you only have one spring per side, so 15-150S is what you'd want.

It's important to note that the Series 160 doesn't screw to the 15-199 pivot shoe, but instead kind of hooks in with that tab. That's my biggest concern, but as long as the width and thickness of your shoe match ours, and as long as the thickness of the spring is the same, then it should be okay.

The other concern is the pivot bar. The 15-199 is compatible with pivot bars with a "T" shaped tip like the 26-378, or even something like the 26-241. As long as your old pivot bar has a tip that resembles these then I think you'll be okay.

Please review this hardware and let me know what you think.

I'm willing to give it a try. My pivot bar does indeed have a "T" shaped tip. Any idea on which spring I need for my 17" x 20" double pane sash ? There are no markings on the old spring.
Profile picture of Tom

Since there are no markings or stampings on the old coil spring itself, you will need to remove the sash, weigh it on a scale, and get back to us with that weight number.

Looks to be 7 lbs, does that sound right ?
Profile picture of Tom

If your complete sash weighs 7 pounds, then you can go with a S160-3 coil spring on each side of the window.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.