Non-Tilt Sash Window Balance with foot 15-073, Orange tip.

A quick learner from League City, Texas says:

Good Afternoon,

Talked to Casey in customer service, just posted pictures of my spiral balances. They measure 29 inches by 3/8 diameter tube (Orange tip). My understanding that the foot (15-073) replacement shoe will not be available for another two-weeks, as such, will need to special order with quantity that I will require for my windows.

Just needed to verify my measurements are correct and that you have the required replacement parts.

It also appears I will need the charging tool (75005) and additional foot(15-073) replacements parts with rivet and special tool.

Can you contact me when the shoe (15-073) arrive so I may place my special order of 32+.

Thank you

Gil

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4156.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4157.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4158.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4159.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Gil. We can definitely supply these balances for you. Can you just confirm the length of the inner spiral rod? Since the outer tube is 29" long, the rod should be either 30" or 31". This will determine what we'll use for the base.

Can you also specify exactly how many balances you need? Custom order links need to have their quantity pre-set beforehand.

Once I have that information, I'll email you an order link and price quote for the requested quantity.

A quick learner from League City, Texas says:
Hi Tom,

The inner spiral rod is 31", Currently need 12 Balances, however, my next door neighbor has the same windows and balances.

Thank you

Gil
Profile picture of Tom

Great, thanks! I'll go ahead and shoot over an order link right now for 12. If you ever need more in t he future, let me know and I'll be happy to send you more order links for however many.

A home owner from Seabrook says:
In response to Gil: we also have the same window balances. I ordered the balance rods with the 15-073 foot already riveted on to the tip of the spiral. How did you get the balances to feed down into the side of the sash?
The foot is too big to fit down my windows. Was I supposed to order the foot and rivet separately...?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15685031313614446004589885377377.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Looks like the top sash guide is getting in the way. That's odd, though; how did the old balance come out if there isn't enough space to put the new one in? Are you sure this is the balance you need?

Unclipped the shoe from bottom of the window and whole tube and spiral rod slid out the bottom.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hopefully I can help! Whenever I've encountered a top nylon guide like I see in your photo, this is the procedure I used: 

First, you'll need a friend to hold the sash up while you feed the balance in from the bottom of the sash. Screw the balance tube at the top of the window track, bring the spiral up to the bottom of the sash, and give the the spiral three or four turns. Then attach it to the bottom of the sash and repeat the same on the other side.

Are you saying to remove the spiral from the tube? Or insert the complete balance in from the bottom? Because we tried inserting the balance from the bottom but the guide doesn't allow the tube to exit at the top of the sash. It goes all the way up where you can't see the tube at the bottom, only the spiral sticks out, and try lowering the sash holding spiral in place, but tube will not exit the top. I have read warnings to not remove spiral from the tube because it could bend, causing the balance to fail.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

No, you definitely don't want to remove the spiral from the tube. That will only break it.

If you cannot put in the balance the same way it came out, then I'm at a loss. I can't imagine how you were able to get the balance out to begin with if that won't work. Did something in the window shift when you removed the original? Is the sash out of skew?

I'm afraid I know of no other way. You may want to contact a local professional to come out and look at it for you.

It is confounding. The balances just fell out the bottom of the sash once they were unscrewed from the track.
Thanks for your comments and sharing your experience.
FYI - We inserted balance from the bottom of the sash with a line tied to the top end of the balance tube and fished it through to pull it through the top of the guide. However, it was very difficult. So we opted to cut the carrier bracket off and insert balance from the top, then reattach the clip with a very small screw and nut. Got them all replaced now.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)