Non-tilt Window Spiral Balance with Hook Shoe

A home owner from Houston says:

Hi,

I have a non-tilt window that keeps falling down. I am looking for a replacement spiral balance that looks like the one attached in the images. It has a hook shoe that latches into the bottom edge of the window. I checked the different models you display online, but I couldn't find the exact shoe shape. Would you please direct me to the closest replacement that would work with my window? Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ahmed

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200707_153026_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200707_153033_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200707_153047_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200707_153104_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200707_153122_resized.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Ahemd. We can supply a replacement for this balance, but it will have to be a custom order since it isn't a stock configuration. Before we go any further, however, I need a bit more information from you.

First, can you tell me length and diameter of the outer metal tube? Can you also tell me the length of the internal spiral rod? The rod should be 1" or 2" longer than the tube. I will also need to know the exact weight of the sash that these balances support, down to the ounce.

Finally, please confirm how many balances you were looking to purchase. 

Once I have this information, I'll email you an order link and price quote for the requested quantity.

Hi Tom,

Here are the dimensions:
Tube diameter 3/8"
Tube length 29"
Spiral length 31"

Window glass dimensions:
Width 32", Height 28", double pane - photo attached.
I couldn't measure its weight.

Please let me know how much the custom replacement would cost and how soon I will get it. I will need a pair.

Thanks,

Ahmed

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200712_202724_resized.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Ahmed! This information is just about perfect. We still need the weight, though. If your sash can't be removed from the frame, then you can put a scale on the sill and lower the sash on top of it. As long as the balances are disconnected, it should work. It won't be 100% accurate but I'll hopefully be able to work with it.

This is an important detail and we unfortunately won't be able to proceed without it. It will tell us how we have to calibrate the spring so that it can properly hold up your sash weight.

Hi Tom, I placed the scale underneath the window sash as you suggested. It weighs 22 lbs.
Thanks,
Ahmed

Profile picture of Tom

Fantastic, thank you! I'll email you that order link and price quote right now. Keep an eye on your inbox!

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)