Non tilt non standard shoe

A handy person from The Great State of Texas says:
I do not see the exact replacement spiral balance on your website? Could you quote me a price for customs Spiral balances I need 20 of them and then I'd also like the cost per individual spiral balance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A8CDC1C9-8DA7-4BC5-91CE-45FD38798141.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B81BF920-B98D-45A5-88C2-0176E5193E76.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 46BA77E3-5D05-4E0F-B69F-A3A6CF5E6A7C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 786997DE-CF35-44B8-973B-87ACF183CDAE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 65F7D268-29EB-465D-89D9-614CF2DEDD0A.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Looks like you have a non-tilt spiral balance with a 15-073 shoe attached to the bottom. We can supply this, but it will have to be a custom order. I have a few questions before we begin.

First, can you tell me the length of the metal tube and the length of the internal spiral rod? The tube looks to be 29" from your photo, but it's hard to tell for sure. The spiral rod should be 1" or 2" longer than the tube; assuming 29" is right, then the rod should be either 30" or 31".

Next, I'll need you to weigh your sash as precisely as you can and tell me what you get. Since your sash cannot be removed from the frame, you'll need to place a scale on the sill and gently lower the sash on top of it. This won't be 100% accurate but it will do for our purposes.

Finally, please confirm the diameter of the balance tube.

Once I have this information, I'll email you an order link and price quote for 20.

A handy person from The Great State of Texas says:
Hey there,
The tubes are 29" 3/8 dia. Rod = 31" They are the red/orange tips confirmed visually on another balance.
Is it possible to build them at home without special equipment if I buy the pins and parts? Looking forward to the quote.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Great, thank you! This information is exactly what we need.

You could build these at home, but it's difficult. To walk you through the hardware we'd use, we'd get our S300-29 spiral balance, remove the nylon shoe, and install our 15-073 shoe with a 62-008 rivet. Drilling the old shoe off and riveting the new shoe on are the trickiest parts. Even I have trouble with it sometimes.

All that said, I'll email you a custom order link for 20 just in case. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)