Old Coil Balance System

A home owner from USA says:
I recently purchased an S140-18 Quick-Tilt, Dual Balance...

My window is 27lbs.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I'm not quite certain about the identity of this coil balance system, which looks to be an older design; but I'm pretty confident we can find a replacement. Can you just tell me the width and thickness of the pivot shoe? The identity of the pivot shoe determines the identity of the entire coil balance system. From there, we'll do our best to find the right substitute for you if we have it. Thanks.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can be of assistance. Your pivot shoe looks similar to our 15-199. Like to see the pivot bar to make sure it will fit. The 15-199 pivot shoe uses S160 coil springs where the first spring hooks into the pivot shoe and the next one hooks to the rectangle hole in the bottom coil spring and the next coil spring below that one. The coil spring cover is 15-150T. For a 27 lbs. sash, you would need two S160-7 coil springs, two for each side of the sash. This gives you a support fora  28 lb sash; plus or minus one pound difference is acceptable with these coil balance systems. Let us know if you have further inquiries. 

A home owner from UK says:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. The initial enquiry is a little misleading. The sash weight is 54lb so I require a pair of 27lb balances. The width of the shoe is 1 1/4 inches and the thickness is 17/32 inch. It seems these dimensions are quite common. I initially ordered a pair of 18lb series 140 balances only to discover that the old springs had 9 (hence 27lb) printed on each spring not 6. as I believed. I've attached a couple more photos if you need them. Your 140 series only seems to go up to 26lb. Could you please point me in the right direction for replacements?

Regards Dan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC_0632.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC_0633.JPG
Profile picture of Paul

Ah, I see. I'm afraid we don't have a Series 140 that will work for that strength window. I think your best bet is still our 15-199 shoe, 15-150T support, and an S160-9 spring knowing now that your sash is 54 pounds. These carry 9 pounds each, so six of them will support that weight.

A home owner from UK says:

Thanks again for the reply. I will order them today. Before I do, the description says each spring is 9.5lb,so 6 would make 57lb. Is this Ok on a 54lb window?

Also, I assume these springs connect to the shoe in a simple manner?

Regards

Profile picture of Paul

Ah, you're right. I'm sorry about that. Doing a little math, it looks like your best bet is to use four 9.5 springs (two on each side) and then two 8.5 springs (one on each side). That adds up to 55 pounds of support which should be fine. Just make sure the springs are symmetrical.

The bottom spring connects to the shoe, and then each spring stacked above that connects to the spring below it.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.