Old Kinco Windows

A home owner from Florida says:
Hi, I'm renovating a house with 40 year old Kinco single hung non-tilting windows, many of which seem not to have been opened for years. The springs make creaking sounds when opened and closed, and the windows will stay open but are very difficult to close. I assume the channel balances need to be replaced. I've watched the video about how to remove channel balances, and have a few questions. First, I'm a 100 lb. female. Some of the windows I've had to use my full body weight to get completely closed, so I'm a little worried about how much force is required to keep the channel balance compressed when removing. Would I be able to do it myself? Second, can the window be put back together temporarily without the channel balances? I've only had experince with double hung windows before now and am a novice when it comes to single hung. Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We believe the springs inside the balance channels are probably rusted and are causing the difficultly in operating the sashes. We pulled up additional media guides on this page to help you. We suggest removing the sash and balance from the smallest window you have, like in the kitchen or bathroom, so you get familiar with process before tackling a larger window. Let us know if you need help.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.