Old double hungs

A quick learner from Milwaukee says:
I need new balances in my older windows.
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. This is a relatively uncommon balance, but we can still help replace it. It will just need to be custom made. Before we continue, please tell me the length of the tub by itself. Do not count the top and bottom components, just the tube sleeve itself. There should also be a bit of color paint at the tip of the spring. Can you tell me what color yours is?
A quick learner from Milwaukee, WI says:
The tube is about 15.25" Can you tell me if thats a nail securing the spring inside the slot in the window. I wasn't able to identify any color paint at the tip of the spring.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, hopefully I can help. Can you confirm the tube length? Usually, this kind of balance is made with tubes that end on a 1/2" increment.

That does look like a nail at the bottom of the balance, yes. The painted spring tip should be at that end, usually brown, green, red or yellow. Double check just to make sure. If not, then that's fine, too, I just want to make sure!

Sorry for all the questions. This is a very particular kind of balance and we like to make sure everything is 100% certain before we make a recommendation. Custom made balances cannot be returned for a refund so we like to cover every aspect before moving on.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)