PGT Balancers

A home owner from New Smyrna Beach says:

Need several old PGT balancers. No numbers on these. The 'spring channel' is 34 7/8 inches & the 'tab' on the end is 1/2".

Thanks!

Bob
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm having trouble identifying this. Can you please flip the balance and show me the front side of it? Another photo that would help is one of the end of the string and whatever is attached there. Finally, I see a metal hook piece sticking out of the balance. What is that for?
A home owner from New Smyrna Beach says:
The metal hook attaches to the plastic piece that the sash rotates out on.
Pics attached
Thanks
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Wow, this is a very odd balance. We don't have anything like it, so I'll have to figure out a substitute for you. Please give me the width and thickness of the nylon pivot shoe. I would also like to see a picture of the tilt bar at the bottom of the sash. Hopefully with this information, we can work something out.
A home owner from New Smyrna Beach, FL says:
The nylon pivot shoe is approx 1/2" thick and 1 1/4" wide. Pic attached.
User submitted a photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. Now, I'm not able to get you this exact balance and shoe, but I can offer you a similar set up that I think might work for you. Please look at our S765-35 channel balance with our 15-046 pivot shoe. The reason I suggest replacing both balance and shoe is because I'm not sure if you can hook the new balance to the old shoe. Also keep in mind that you will need to drill a hole at the top of the window track to attach the new balance. I will also need to know the weight of your sash so that I can suggest the correct option.

Hi Paul,

I was able to weigh the lower sash (kind of). I have two different sizes. Some of the windows will use the 35" balance and some will use the 29" balance. The sash that will use the 35" balance weighs approx 20lbs and the sash that uses the 29" balance weighs approx 15 lbs.
You mentioned that the balance would need to be attached at the top of the track. I don't quite follow that. Would it not need to be secured to the track at the top of the lower sash?

Thanks!

Bob

Sorry, I was looking at this wrong. I see now that the balance does need to be attached at the top of the window channel.

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Great! Yes, these are attached at the top.

For the 29' balance I recommend our S765-29 with a 28-3 option, and for 35" I recommend our S765-35 with a 34-3 option. Don't forget about the 15-046 pivot shoe!

Thanks Paul!!

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your help with this! I ordered a 'test' set of balancers, pivot shoes, and swing out latches. They worked perfectly! However, I mis-weighed the 29 inch lower sash. I had said 15 lbs, but its actually 22 lbs. But, the balancers you suggested work fine. My question is this...I'm going to order many more of these. Should I stay with the 28-3 option even though the sash is 22 lbs instead of 15 lbs?

As for the 35 inch sashes, those are obviously going to be heavier than the 20 lbs I guessed. I would put them closer to 27 lbs.

Can you advise?

Bob
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Bob! Glad everything worked out. The 28-3 option cannot support 22 pounds, but the 28-5 option can. I recommend that. It's a good thing you double checked!

I also recommend getting an exact sash weight for the other sash. These are precise systems so it's important to get as exact a weight as you can. Let me know what the weight is and we can suggest the best option to use.
Hi Tom,

I pulled a 35" lower sash & weighed it. I was close...it's 26.5 lbs. Please relay the option I need for these S765 balances.

Thanks!

Bob
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
For this sash weight, I recommend our 34-4 option.

Thanks Tom...much appreciated!
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.