Patio Door Seal Glazing Strips

A home owner from Shelby Township, MI 48315 says:

I have a Weathervane sliding wood patio door and the door seals are cracked and separating (see photos). The seal strips fit into an aluminum channel. Not sure if they are snapped-in or fastened in some other manner. The channel width is approximately 1/2". The seal appears to have a 90 degree corner on one side and a flared piece of plastic sticking-out the other side. The total dimension across the face of the seal is approximately 3/4". This type seal is installed all around the frame opening. The 90 degree side seals the sliding door to the frame on the side of the door and on the bottom of the door, the flared piece seals the based of the door. Not sure how to remove this strip. Please advise on replacement strips and removal techniques. If you need further information, let me know.

Thanks,

Bob

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1823.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1824.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1829.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1830.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1831.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in, Bob. We may be able to help replace this glazing bead for you, but we'll need you to remove a sample and show us a picture of its 'end profile'. From there, we'll see what we can narrow down. If you need assistance, see the video below.

A home owner from Shelby Township, MI 48315 says:
The referenced window snap-in glazing does not apply to my door glazing. Upon further inspection, it appears that the plastic glazing may be "U" shaped in profile with a 1/4"x1/2"x1/4" profile with some sort of root that fits into a U shaped metal channel. Tried to pry out with a screwdriver without success. Not sure it the glazing root has to slide into a fit which would require destroying the glazing to get to some sort of fastner that would release the metal channel from the frame. Please advise.

Thanks,
Bob
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I'm not sure, either. If your glazing doesn't work like how we show in our video, then I'm not sure how else it could work. It's possible yours is caulked in, which is obviously an issue, but otherwise all glazing more or less installs the same way. If yours is a special case then you should contact the original makers of the window to see what they recommend.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.