Patio Slider Handle Set

A handy person from Pennsylvania says:
I need to replace my sliding glass door handle set. I've gone through too many replacements and I believe it is either due to shoddy workmanship (like a number of products at that big box home improvement store with the orange aprons) or (more likely) the depth of the door. It is 1 1/2" thick and most of the screws in the handle sets are a bit too long which causes too much play, which causes get the picture.

Looks like 3 15/16" screw spacing for both the handles and the mortise lock.

So, I'm looking to replace the entire set up. Handles, mortise latch...whatever else I may need.

Any product recommendations would be highly welcome!

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Scott. To start out, I'd look at our 82-031, 82-035, and 82-069. Now, these handles are meant for doors that are 1-5/8" thick. Like you said, using the screws that come with them will give too much play, so you should reuse the old screws that came with the door. I also recommend using the old thumb turn, as our handles will not have the appropriate size.

Now, if none of those handles resemble what you have, you can take a few pictures of your existing handle for us to look at and identify.

As for the mortise lock, start out by looking at our 82-218. Again, if it doesn't look like what you have, take a few pictures and we can work from there.
A handy person from Pennsylvania says:
Thanks Tom.

The 82-035 and 82-218 look like they'll fit the bill. Unfortunately I don't have the original screws as they were what sheared off in the first place....

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
In that case, you should go to a local hardware store and see if they can match up screws for you. You will need the old thumb-turns, though. If you do not have those, then I do not think our hardware will work for you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)