Pics of broken channel balancer

A home owner from Colorado says:
I have included 4 pics. I know it is hard to see still in the channel, but I can't see any good way to get the vinyl enclosure off to access the balancer or the shoe itself.

It appears to be non-serviceable without taking apart the entire frame. the sliding balancer appears to be aluminum

I think this was built in 1999?

Any ideas?

Lance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0537.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0538.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0534.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0535.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Lance. Thanks for your patience during this busy season. I think we can replace this balance, but I'd like a little more information before I say anything for sure. Specifically, I'd like to see a picture of an undamaged version of that pivot shoe in your last photo, but removed from the window. It's too obstructed for me to make out. Let me know!

I am adding some more photos, but not the pivot shoe. I don't know how to get it out (or a new one in) to the plastic channel where the balancer slides up and down.

Could it be that I have to take apart the window frame?

At least you can see the spring and the cord that is broken. To get the channel balance out I had to pry the sides of the plastic channel apart... I am not sure I can do that to get the pivot shoe out.

I am kind of stuck at this point

PS...for some reason I didn't see your reply until today.

Thanks...hope you can help

Lance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0634.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0635.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0637.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0638.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Lance. It's very possible that you'll have to remove the jamb liner, yes. See the video below, which features a similar balance--if not the very same balance you have now. This should tell you how to remove it.

The system in the video sure looks like our system, but I just don't remember a screw that releases the trim so easily.

I am not up there right now, but will scope it out in the next week or so.

Thanks and we will keep digging!

Lance

Hi - I am finally able to attempt to fix my windows again, and figured out how to get my jamb liner out.

To Recap: I have ribbed channel balancers with 28TG GL stamped on the side.
The window sash weighs 30 lbs

You can see the pictures above, or I can send more, BUT I was able to get out a fully intact pivot shoe (pictured attached).

So, a couple of questions -
The windows are very hard to close (requiring full body weight) and make latching very difficult.

Will new channel balancers help that?
Can I spray with white lithium grease to help with that?
Since the condo was built in 1999, is it best to replace channel balancers in ALL the windows (8 I believe) or just the ones that are broken (and buy a few spares). Almost all the pivot shoes are broken, but still work, but some of the strings on the channel balancers are broken.

Thanks for any advice you can give...

Lance

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0918.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us, Lance. This photo is a huge help. We can definitely make this balance for you, but it will have to be a custom order due to this shoe; this isn't a part that comes stock with any of our ribbed assemblies. Specifically, we'll be making an S751-29 channel balance but we'll swap the shoe it comes with out for the 15-197 instead. Does that look good to you?

Before we move forward with that, though, I want to address the issue you mentioned with the sash being hard to close. Was it always like this, or is this something that developed in more recent years? If this was a recent development then your springs are probably old and locking up. Replacing the whole balance will fix the issue.

If your windows have always been like this, though, then the springs you have in the window now are way too strong. Your stamp of 28TG indicates a pair of springs that can together hold  28 through 35 pounds. This is the strongest option available for a balance in this size. What is the weight of your sash? If it falls under this range, then the 28TG stamp is definitely wrong and we'll need to figure out what you should have. The sash weight will answer that question for me.

Thanks for your reply

The sash weight is 30 Lbs

I believe they have been like that for a long time (we have owned for 5 years; I can't speak to before that).

Would Lithium grease help with that?
Profile picture of Tom

I wouldn't recommend grease. If you want to lubricate the track, then I'd use silicone spray. Even that won't fix the problem if your sash is that hard to close, though. Lubricating the track only does so much.

Since your sash weight falls comfortably in the 28TG range, then the problem is likely bum springs. My only concern is that you said they've always been like this. Balances like this have a lifespan of roughly 10-15 years, so if you suspect that these were in the window a decade before you got there then that may be it.

Either way, the math doesn't lie. If your sash is 30 pounds then 28TG is correct. I will email you an order link and price quote now for two balances in this size that have the 15-197 shoe attached to the end of the cord. These should work according to the specifications you gave us.

Hey Tom -

I got your email with the link to order.
It was for two, and I think I should buy more (it will cut the per piece shipping cost, for one thing), and I have more windows to do.

I presume the upper and lower sashes will require the same sizes in balances? The upper and lower sashes are the same size.

If so, I would like to order 16 channel balancers, which would be enough to do the upper and lower sashes of 4 windows.

If that makes sense, could you please send me a link to order 16?

Does the balancer include all the hardware (clips and such) that I will need?

And finally, for now, what is the estimated time for these to ship?

Thanks,

Lance

Profile picture of Tom

The top sash and bottom sash balances are not necessarily going to be the same. Sometimes the top sashes are a little smaller, or have a different weight rating. I would recommend double checking to be sure.

We have these materials in stock to make, so delivery time will depend on the shipping option you select during checkout. We have a few options.

Hi Tom -

We are getting really close...
1) My top and bottom sashes are the same size and both weigh 30 lbs
2) The balancers are all 29" long and are stamped 28TG GL
3) Your email order specified a 15-192 Shoe; I think you meant a 15-197 shoe
4) I want a total of 12 (enough for 3 windows top and bottom)
5) Does this come with clips?
6) Can I just order 8 shoes as well, to replace some broken ones

Thanks,

Lance

Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Lance! Sounds good to me. Sorry about the typo, too, I'll make sure to fix that. I'll email you an order link and price quote for 12 balances, all the same size. The cost per balance will also be a little less since 12 is such a high quantity.

I'm not sure what clips you're referring to, in the context of this balance. The 15-197 shoe is indeed sold by itself, so you can add some to your cart if you wanted extras on hand. 

Order placed, Tom

Thanks for your help. I hope the installation goes well, and we will see about ordering more later
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you very much for the order! Please let  us know how it goes, or if you run into any issues. I'm happy to help with any other questions you may have.

Hi Tom -

I was able to replace all 4 balancers on 3 windows, and they work much smoother now.

I am ready to order balancers for the remaining 5 windows and I need an extra one because one of them released and shattered the pivot shoe. I tried to replace the pivot shoe on it, but the spring, as you know,is very tough to flex (without proper equipment). Any suggestions on that?

Finally, I am including a picture of a screen corner that I want to replace. Can you advise which one I need and the color? It looks like a gold or light bronze, if that is possible. Definitely not white. Maybe a silver would work. I would like 6 of those if you can find the right part.

So, to summarize:
1) 21 total balancers that 29" long and are stamped 28TG GL with the 15-197 shoe

2) 6 screen corners that will replace the one picture.

If that works, please send an email link so I can get those ordered.

Thanks,

Lance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0968.JPG
Good morning -

While you guys are now my new best friends, I wondered what you would recommend for weather stripping.

I am sending a picture of the bottom of the bottom sash and the weather stripping we tried. I think you can see the bottom channel in the sash seemingly made for this type of stripping, but the thickness and rigidity makes it very hard to close and latch the windows. The wood area around the latch is chewed up by folks trying to latch the window when it is not fully closed.

Even with this type of weather stripping in place, there is still cold air (wintertime) that seeps in. The top of the top sash just has some vinyl strip with no filler (I don't have a picture of that).

Is there anything you can recommend?

Lance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0962.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Hi, Lance! Those balances shouldn't be a problem. I'll email you an order link and price quote now for 21 balances according to those specifications.

As for the corner key and weatherstripping, see our 95-243 and 58-056E, respectively. Compare our dimensions to yours to confirm everything aligns.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.