Pivot Lock Shoe Assembly Replacements

A home owner from Otisco NY says:
Greetings,

I have a home with 12 windows with "Uniframe" brand molded into the window frame.
I believe you have parts I need.

I have 12 double glazed windows labeled "UNIFRAME" as the manufacturer with failing Pivot Shoes. I believe these failures were caused by a combination of configuration/installation errors with improper manipulation of the sashes.

The configuration/installation error was specifying/installing wrong "tall-profile" tilt latches on the upper sashes. Your catalog items 26-176,177; 26-120-121; 26-177,178 all appear to add 5/15" to the sash height and this causes latch misalignment by forcing the upper sash down by the tilt latch thickness. I observe your parts catalog does not reliably identify the total height of these latch releases.

A frame-internal latch would have been a closer fit but the frame height needed to be correct, too. This caused the window latch to miss-align with the latch socket with the latch receptacle/socket.

THE EXTERNAL MOUNT TILT LATCH COLLIDES WITH THE TOP PLASTIC FRAME. THIS DISPLACES THE UPPER SASH. INTERNAL FRAME TILT LATCHES MIGHT CAUSE THE SAME MISALIGNMENT TO A LESSER EXTENT. IN TURN, THE WINDOW LATCH MECHANISM's LATCH MISALIGNS AND fAILS TO ENGAGE THE SOCKET -- THE WINDOWS WON'T SECURE.

THE WONDOW CREATED LATCH DIFFICULTY CAUSED MY TENANTS (and myself), TO TILT OUT THE LOWER FRAME TO INVESTIGATE THE INABILITY TO SECURE THE WINDOW. WITHOUT LIFTING THE LOWER SASH, THE TILT OUT MANIPULATION ENGAGED THE LOWER FRAME AS A FULCRUM, WITH MUCH LEVERAGE. THIS BROKE SEVERAL WEAK ZINC-CAST METAL CAMS. The zinc was the weakest part.

The correct zinc cam will allow me to repair the Lock Shoe Assemblies. NOTE: Cam
15-124 (which incorrect for my Pin Lock assembly) looks like my needed cams.

UNFORTUNATELY, Catalog featured METAL CAM 15-124 ( $1.44 ea.) IS A DIFFERENT DESIGN FROM MY FAILED CAMS. The catalogue Cam is 17/32" diameter and 5/8" long.

The CAM I NEED is not identified in the website catalog but measures 19/32" max. dia. stepping to a smaller 17/32" dia. cylinder fitting into the close-fit shoe LOCK Shoe's counterbore. YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS NEEDED METAL CAM IN THE PARTS CATALOGUE. THIS WOULD FIX MY BROKEN PIVOT SHOE ASSEMBLIES, (all plastic parts are intact).

Ideally, I would like to obtain (12 ea.) correct Cams that LOOK LIKE the zinc cams in PIVOT LOCK SHOE ASSEMBLY 15-208 (wrong part) -- same slot appearance, wrong length. Perhaps these should also cost $1.44 each?

ALTERNATIVELY, Pivot Lock Shoe Assembly 15-178 appears to be the exact assembly which contains my broke n parts. It has the brown brake pad and the shoe structure appears identical with identical dimensions: 2-1/2" tall x 1-1/4" track width x 17/32" track depth to braking surface.

I have the

Because either cam or assembly repairs several thousand dollars of miss-configured windows, I would like ASAP shipment of either the correct cam or the entire Pivot lock shoe assembly 15-178.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Can you show us photos of the parts in question: the cams and pivot shoes, but also the tilt latches as well? Your post was helpful in illustrating the problem, and I know you have deduced the cam you need; but the best thing on our end is to view every part in question, to see if we can identify the proper replacements. Many thanks.

Laptop camera is all I have available
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named shoe assy.jpg
I have to travel and do not have opportunity to photograph the tilt latches.

Besides, with the installer NOT ACCOMODATING RIGHT OR WRONG TILT LATCH ON THE UPPER SASH, the upper sash will be stripped of any tilt latch and pinned in place in un-spaced, direct contact with the top of the window frame --- which allows the latch to engage and lock the window so I may market this house without another window replacement.

If you folks really care to assist me, I need to replace either the zinc Pivot Lock Cam (that operates the tilt feature and the brake lock)

or

affirm you cannot send me the un-identified zinc Pivot Lock Cam and I will buy the entire Pivot-Lock-Shoe assembly replacing the undamaged parts) to get my windows functioning.

Any home buyer who verifies a single window works will probably try to latch it and react "WTF" -- and request my correction of latch function or replace all the vertical opening windows in this house -- a 5-$ figure economic loss. I am on an airplane and need to send my renovation contractor parts ASAP. I was hoping this forum submission could identify the zinc Pivot Lock cam part no.

I am certain the identified assembly will replace the 15-178 because it is indeed1-1/8 tall by 1-1-4 side by 7/32 brake actuation dimension with the same BROWN brake surface moved by my broken zinc cams. I don't have the cable to download my phone pictures of the tilt mechanisms that won't help me fix this house. I can't use parts that increase the sash frame vertical dimension and I won't risk reworking the frame hollows to allow an internal latch -- w would rather remove a screw that fixes the upper sash from tilting.

Monday, I will order the 15-178 entire assembly and spend the extra $30 without a Zinc pivot part number.

or teplacement of with the latch expectation working
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. Hopefully I can help. I'm coming in late to this but starting from the top, it looks like the metal cams on the pivot shoes broke. Is that the only issue you're experiencing?

I don't really think the tilt latches are what's causing the issue. The issue was that the windows were tilted in without being raised first. The tilt latches don't really have any bearing on that, the pivot shoes would have broken regardless on any window with any tilt latch configuration. All window sashes with pivot shoes from any manufacturer must be raised a few inches before being tilted in.

I'm afraid the center cam cannot be replaced by itself on your pivot shoe. No company sells the metal cam separately; the 15-124 is a special case for one very specific pivot shoe, and as you already pointed out it's too different to be used in any other pivot shoe assembly. I will tell you right now that you probably won't get your metal cam from any company. No manufacturer is interested in supplying it by itself.

Your only option is to replace the pivot shoe itself, and I agree with your assessment that the 15-178 looks like our best match.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)