Pivot Shoe Identification & Coil Balance

A quick learner from norridge,il says:

pat.5,353,548

i have these constant force balances throughout my house. many of them snap up when you take sash out for cleaning. i measured the square footage of the bottom sash. i have ten windows, and i came up with 3 weights. 

6 bottom sash weigh 21.4 lbs. 

2 sash weigh 18.2 lbs.

2 sash weigh 15 lbs. 

There are 10 bottom sash and 10 upper sash. so i assume i purchase 12 constant force balances 11 lbs, 4 cfbs of 10 lbs, and 4 cfbs of 8 lbs. i wonder if you could look this over and tell me what i need to order. i also would like to know if it is better to use jamb spreaders or the cutout method.

ps i realize that this is only enough to do 1/2 the job ,but would like to get my feet wet on the bottom sash before i attempt repair on the tops.

the pivot shoes are approximately 1 1/4" and 5/8" thick

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window3.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Your pivot shoe looks like our 15-086 Coil Housing Pivot. Also see our 15-086 Tandem Coil Housing. This system works with our Series 180 Coil Balances. Our Series 180 Coil Springs go up to 9 lbs of weight, so you will need to stack multiple springs on each side of the sash. Are there stamps on your coil springs? If not, see below.

For the sashes that weigh 21.4 lbs, you will want on both sides of the sash (2) S180-8 and (2) S180-3. This equals 11 lbs of support on either side of the sash, for a total of 22 lbs of support (rounding up from 21.4 should be OK). 

For the sashes that weigh 18.2 lbs, you will want on both sides of the sash (1) S180-9. This equals 9 lbs of support on either side of the sash, for a total of 18 lbs of support (rounding down from 18.2 to 18 lbs should be OK). 

For the sashes that weigh 15 lbs, opt for (1) S180-3 and (1) S180-4 on both sides of the sash, for 7 lbs of support on either side of the support and a total of 14 lbs of support (1 lb less should be OK). 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Can i just replace the coil housing pivots and reuse the existing coil springs and assorted hardware?

Someone suggested replacing the constant force balances with spiral balances. It seems that the cfb system components break very easy.Do you have any suggestions ? I also wonder if the s140 balances would work in this application. Sorry for so many ?'s. I appreciate your help.

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

If the coil springs have snapped or are damaged, then yes, you need to replace them. As far as a conversion to a different balance system, this is usually not recommended. It's theoretically possible but is very difficult to do, and even if you manage to set it up, there is no guarantee it will work. Finally, while the Series 140 looks similar in some ways to your system; no, it's best to stick with your original series in this application. Honestly, as long as you have the right-weighted coil springs and the system installed correctly, there's no reason your coil balances shouldn't last at least 10 years, the average life of any window balance.  

dear bob ,once again you have been very helpful. i greatly appreciate your help.i am almost ready to tackle this project with confidence due to your help.there is one last thing i would like to ask. to an expert it might seem obvious, but to a novice not so much.So here goes,how do you stack the springs ? how do they connect to one another.Does one sproing go in the tandem coil housing and the other in the coil housing pivot ? thanks again.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I'd be glad to explain. After you assemble the nylon housings with the coil springs for your bottom sash, you will start with the first coil housing pivot. As your slide it in the track cut-out, hook the spring to the mounting bracket. Now add one of the tandem housing and slide the locking hooks to the bottom housing pivot while you are attaching the coil spring to the mounting bracket. Repeat the next tandem housing until you have all installed. With a screw driver place it in the black pivot and bring down the balance system about 6-8", repeat the other side and then install your sash.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.