Pull ring and ball head nail questions

A home owner from Ohio says:
Hello. I want to retrofit the 70-004 pull ring/ball head nail combination into my screens. Two questions:

1. How deep should the ball head nail be pounded into the sill? In the video the nail was not pounded all the way up to the collar at the base of the ball.

2. My sills are vinyl-clad wood. I'm concerned about the potential water seepage that could happen when I puncture the vinyl with the nail. Do you have recommendations about tried and true methods to make sure the sill won't eventually rot from water infiltration as a result of puncturing the vinyl with the ball head nails? Should I pre-drill guide holes that are slightly smaller diameter than the nails?

Thanks,
Mark
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Mark. I would first suggest using the 70-013S ball head screw. Personally, I'm not sold on using the nail in type. I would also drill a pilot hole into the sill to make it easier to install the screw and help prevent the damaging the vinyl, yes. 

One question I have is what type screen did you originally have in your windows? Why do you need to use a different attachment on your screen? Depending on what you had before there could be an easier way around this.

A home owner from Ohio says:
I had Malta windows that used the aluminum rocker clips on each side. They never sufficiently caught the sides of the frames. I do not want to use that style again. The pull ring/ ball head combo is simple and the screens will positively lock into place, something the original clips never did.

So I ask again, how deep should the ball head pins be driven or screwed, and should I squirt silicone into the pre-drilled holes before I install the ball head pins?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I would suggest placing the screen into the window frame and taking note on the sill slope. You might not want to install the screw so far into the sill that the pull ring will not catch the head of the screw. The rule of thumb is to install the screw threads into the sill just leaving the smooth neck of the screw exposed. 

Yes, you do want to squirt some sealant into the hole to keep water from getting under your vinyl sill. 

These are all old, tried and true methods for securing screens on wood windows. I have always had good success when I use them.

How to install the Swisco 70-004 pull ring
How to install the Swisco 70-004 pull ring
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.