Removal of old Traco window shoe

A quick learner from Chicago says:

I am working to fix a Traco aluminum frame window in a high rise in Chicago. I believe the windows were installed in 2008. The shoe is pretty beat up and I don't see any cut outs along the track allowing me to remove the shoe. 

It appears, see photos of shoe, that there is a plastic snap in guide along the entire vertical length of the window track. This plastic guide is black in color and on the right hand side of the shoe, as shown in the picture. It appears to be holding the shoe in the right side tract as it travels up and down. The left side holding the shoe in place is the brown aluminum frame. 

Videos I have watched seem to suggest that this plastic guide can be pulled out, but It appears the upper half of the window, the fixed pane, is pressed against this plastic guide and would require the upper pane to be removed. I can't seem to get this guide to unsnap on the bottom far enough to to remove the shoe and I am concerned about breaking it while trying to remove it. 

I have considered cutting the lip of this plastic guide, that appears to be holding the shoe in place, at the very top of the window just enough to remove the shoe. But I don't know if cutting only this lip would be enough to get the shoe out or if the entire plastic guide has to come out to provide enough clearance. 

Do you have any opinion on whether this might work? Are you familiar with this window, track and how to remove this shoe?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210404_130142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210404_130216.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named TRACO
I have also ordered pivot shoe 15 015 for a replacement, order # 1610905. Do you think this is the correct shoe?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Most windows have a cutout in the track to allow the removal of a pivot shoe like yours, but there are some cases where the manufacturer never bothered to include one for whatever reason. It sounds like that's your situation here. With that in mind, you'll have to make your own. The video below will show you exactly how this can be done.

Tom, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the video. I am aware of how to make a cut out to remove an old shoe. My questions are:

1. Are any of the Swisco experts, or anyone reading this thread, acquainted with the Traco window shown in this thread and whether this plastic track, as shown in the photos, is removable in order to replace the shoe to avoid making a cut out. If the plastic track is removable, how is it removed?

2. What Swisco part number do you believe is the best fit for the shoe shown in the photos?
Profile picture of Tom

I've never worked on this specific window, but I doubt you can remove the jamb liner easily. If you can, it would require disassembling the entire window. Making your own cutout will be much much easier than trying to take the jamb out, and that's only assuming you can. I don't think it's worth considering. It definitely won't be easier any way you look at it, if that's what you're hoping for.

Basically, your only hope to avoid having to make a cutout is if one was already included in the design of the window. Since it's not, you're out of options. Making your own cutout is the only way forward.

The best replacement for your old shoe will depend on size. If you can give me the thickness of the original then I can make a recommendation.

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your advice.....Ill post my results if Im successful....
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you very much! If you had any other questions, please let me know. I will do my best to help.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.