Repairing a window crank on a Pella casement window

A quick learner says:
How do you replace the window crank on a pella casement window?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Usually the hard part about replacing this operator is the hidden installation screws on the Pella crank operator body. There is probably a sill cover over these screw holes that you will need to carefully remove to unscrew the operator. After the old Pella crank window operator is removed all you will need to do is screw in the new Pella window crank operator and replace the sill cover.
A landlord from Cleveland, Ohio says:
Is there a gereric operator that can be substituted for and expensive Pella?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
No, there is not a substitute for the 39-096 Pella window operator. The 39-096 is an authentic Pella replacement part manufactured by Pella.
A quick learner from Cody, Wyoming USA says:
There is a small toothed bicuit that inserts into the hinged arm of the operator. It engaged the teeth on the crank. I have several older pella windows on which the teeth of this biscuit are worn off. The biscuits are obviously made to be replaced. Does anyone sell the biscuits? or... should I just make some new ones out of bar stock ? ( The rest of the crank is fine...)
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I believe you're referring to the gear on the operator. There are no replaceable parts for the operators other than the handle. Feel free to send pictures of your operator if you want us to further look at it.
A quick learner from Cody, Wyoming says:
These are pictures of the removable biscuit on the articulating arm of the roto operator for the Pella windows in my house.

Picture 1 is the biscuit in place on the articulating arm.
Picture 2 is the biscuit removed and placed on the sill next to a penny for size reference.

Hope this helps. I contacted a local Pella Dealer but they aren't familiar with the part either...
Customer image of the small toothed biscuit.
I see by the photo what you are referring to. That "biscuit" is not suppose to come out of the operator. You will need to purchase a new operator. Go on to the website to match it up to your sample.
A handy person from OH says:
Is there a way to disconnect the operator on the Pella window so that the window swings out, rather than travel along the track, when you open it? I'd like to install a small standard AC unit in the window. I don't want to have to remove the entire window to do so.

Thanks,
Diane
All of the hardware (track and operator) should be installed with screws. It is just a matter of unscrewing the hardware and removing it.
A home owner from Cleveland, OH says:
I have Pella casement windows and have to replace some of the window units but not the entire frame. How do I remove the opening window and install a new one in its place?
The sashes are held in with hinges which are screwed into the top and bottom of the sashes. You might want to get a Pella service professional (or someone who is familiar with Pella) to help you out with this project.

Keep in mind, new sashes might not fit the older main frames.
A quick learner from Belleville IL says:
I have a situation similar to the gentleman from Cody, WY. How do I identify the part number to ensure I order the proper replacement?
A customer submitted photo of a window operator.
Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, it's hard to identify your operator while it is still installed in your window. If at all possible, can you remove it from the window and take a few pictures of the whole thing separately?

In the meantime, however, please take a look at our 39-176. Do you think this might match? Please compare dimensions and see what you think.
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.