Replace crank with folding style

A quick learner from Battle Creek, MI says:
Windows are Alside U1000, circa late '90's. Straight cranks protrude too far and interfere with blinds. Crank is 3 1/16" L. Looks like 40085 stamped inside. Attaches to window with 12 splines and set screw. Dia. across splines is approx. 0.326". I was looking at Truth 39-205, but don't know if spline count is the same or some other factor I haven't factored in. Will this work? Thoughts? Thanks, Mike.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220712_091936.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220712_093751.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220712_130431.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Mike.

The base of your operator looks like our 39-015, 39-140 or 39-143 which are compatible with the 39-205 folding handle. As long as your spline is 11/32", our 39-205 should work just fine. However, in our experience, folding operator handles also get in the way of most blind treatments. In almost every single case I've come across, the solution ends up being installing the blinds further out so that they don't get in the way of the operators. In other words, the blinds have to make way for the window, not the other way around. Most window manufacturers don't consider blinds when they design their hardware, unfortunately.

No argument with anything you said, Emily. Right now, I have the blinds headrail extended far enough that with the blinds angled flat, and the window crank angled in towards the window, the slats just clear the crank. But I would like to pull that headrail in a tad. So it's that 1st splined piece's height that's critical. Would you be able to give me that height on the 39-205? If it's less than my handle it might be worth a shot.
Oh, almost forgot! Thank you for your time in reviewing my problem.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Emily is out sick but I will do my best to assist you.

Reading what you're trying to do, the 39-205 will definitely be your best bet. This folds down against the cover, so you would be able to pull the blinds in quite a ways. When folded down it will really only stick out as far as the spline stem on your operator (maybe a hair more), so you can use that as a reference.

Purchased the 39-205's handles on your recommendation. Inspection revealed a well-made product. They installed perfectly in place of the OEM handles. They look good and perform as they should. When folded, they add about 1" of clearance to the blinds, allowing me to move them in closer to the window for a more secure, professional-looking install. Thank you for your sound advice and time.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220821_190615.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

That's great to hear! We're always happy to help, of course. If you have any future hardware questions, you know where to find us! 

Yeah, I said 1", but exaggerated slightly. More like 11/16" with the plumb. Still, good improvement. Thanks again.
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace an Awning Operator
How to Replace an Awning Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.