Replacement

A quick learner from USA says:
Hello Swisco Team,

I need some help with a replacement lock set for my sreen/security door.

I am attaching 3 pictures; unfortunately I was not able to mark them up with the measurement, so here they are:

Opening in the screen door for the body of the lock to fit in: 8 1/8th inches by 3/4 inch
Body of the lock: 8 x 5/8th inches
Face Plate of lock: 9.5 inches
Distance between handle and lock: 3 inches

I am looking at items 40-097 and 40-183 in black; my preference is item 40-097 if it fits.

Please let me know if this information is helpful.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1657.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1662.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1660.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks for reaching out to us. I definitely think the 40-097 and 40-183 are our best options, but I'm concerned about the mortise backset. this is the distance between the center of the handle hole and the edge of the mortise, which is very important for this kind of hardware. See the image below for an example of what I mean.

Alternate view of 40-194
Alternate view of 40-194

To simplify matters, the backset on the two handle sets you were looking at is 7/8". The bad news is that we don't really have an alternative to that, and I suspect that yours may be shallower. Your next step should be to measure that and see how well it compares.

A quick learner from USA says:
Hello Tom,

thank you for your clear reply, I measured and we are at 7/8th from edge of mortise to the middle of the handle hole. I also measured 1 9/16 for the entire width of the mortise.

Can you tell me one more measurement,please? I need 3 inched from the middle of the handle to the top of the lock to fit with the the hardware on the entry door.

Another good piece of info would be how far the handle sticks out; seems 40-097 is a bit flatter than 40-183.

Thank you, Anette
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The most important dimensions aside from backset are the spaces between installation holes. I will share those below for the 40-097. As for handle projection, I'm not 100% sure of the precise size on these but I believe it's around 1-7/16" in each case. The 40-097 does look flatter but that's just because the handle has a more curved shape, rather than a sharp jut. The differences between the 40-097 and 40-183 are minimal.

Dimensions and alternate view of 40-097
Dimensions and alternate view of 40-097

Dimensions for 40-097
Dimensions for 40-097

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.