Replacement drip channel/sweep. Cauling question.

A home owner from Clarksville, TN says:

Hello! I have been researching this on-line I came across your web site and thought I would ask you.

Our home was built in 2007. (We purchased it in 2019.) There was naturally a fair amount of dirt, mildew, etc. on the shower door. I think I did a good job cleaning it to the point where it doesn't looks pretty good and I may not replace it yet. However, the bottom drip channel/sweep at the bottom should really be replaced. I have attached 3 pictures - the door, the channel/sweep and the inside of the bottom rail.

I removed a lot of old caulk along the bottom rail (inside and out), but I'm not sure if I need to recaulk the outside bottom (circled) as there looks to be weep holes on the inside.

Do you have any guess who the manufacturer might be? Any thoughts on a replacement drip channel piece?

The entire door assembly is 45". The door itself is 30" with the drip channel slightly less.

Thank you very much!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bottom rail.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Drip track.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Shower door.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I agree, this shower door looks like it's in very good condition. What you're looking to replace seems like your drip rail sweep. We offer a generic type that, in my experience, works on many many different kinds of doors. We have three sizes: the 10-324 (24"), 10-325 (30"), and 10-326 (36"). I'm very confident one of these will work for you.

There is a caveat, which is how to install it. Your old drip rail appears to be installed using screws, but there's no guarantee that the screw holes in the new rail will match. You may need to drill holes in the new rail to get it to line up.

You could also ignore screws entirely and install it using double-stick tape. That works perfectly well and is available from any local hardware store.

Finally, you asked about caulking. I personally wouldn't recommend it. Screws or double stick tape should work fine for your purposes.

Hello Tom! Thanks for the prompt reply. I just noticed a couple typos in my original post. My apologies.

Actually, my caulking question has nothing to do with the drip rail. Rather, it pertained to the outside. During cleaning I removed some old caulk that was at the outside bottom edge of the bottom rail (where it meets the shower base). Circled in the photo.

I couldn't understand the need to caulk the outside edge, so I did not. However, after one use I noticed some water oozing out the bottom. Thus, I may just do it anyway. I guess it can't hurt. It just seems odd if those are indeed weep holes on the inside (pic). (I did replace the caulk on the inside bottom edge. Mmm. Maybe that wasn't needed.) The remaining sides are well caulked.

Thanks for the drip rail suggestions. I may take you up on the 30" drip rail.

Have a nice weekend! Stay safe!
Profile picture of Tom

Oh I see, sorry for the confusion. That's definitely a different matter. I've known some professionals who like to use a little bit of a silicone caulk to close up gaps like you describe. After silicone dries, it will be flexible like rubber and shouldn't interfere with the door opening and closing. That should prevent leakage around the frame of the door.

Thank you Tom!
Profile picture of Tom

You're welcome! Please let me know if you had any other questions. We will do our best to help.

SWISCO Shower Drip Rail with Sweep
SWISCO Shower Drip Rail with Sweep
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.