Replacement entry latch with 1.5 inch set back

A handy person from Vermont, USA says:
Looks like the original similar to the Wartian ML-30 Handle set with 1.5 inch set back. Looking for spring loaded latch somewhere.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid I don't know what it is you have. Just knowing that it's similar to a particular brand is not enough information to go by. In order to assist you, I will need clear photos of the existing handle set so that I can search our inventory for a possible replacement.

Tom,
Here's the photo.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1658772217504302043561285090180.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Oh yes, I recognize this now. This looks like the deadbolt for the old sunroom handle set we used to sell. They discontinued this a short time ago and we stopped selling it years before that due to a huge number of customer complaints as to the quality of its construction.

This deadbolt you show here was particularly prone to breaking after only a month or so of use. These we just really, really poorly made.

Either way, we unfortunately have no compatible alternatives. I don't think any of our storm door handle sets are going to work on your door either; I have never heard of anyone successfully adapting those for use, though I suppose it is theoretically possible; it just depends on how much work you want to do.

One of my senior colleagues likes to direct people to contact a locksmith to see if it's possible to adapt a prime door handle set on this style door, the logic being that most prime doors use similar deadbolts and therefore might be compatible. However I've also not heard of a lot of success on that front. It's honestly a coin toss and, again, would depend on how much work you (or your locksmith) want to put into it.

At the end of the day you're probably going to have the easiest time just getting a new door. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I can't understate how much of a pain this old lockset was to work with. It never worked even when they made it, and now that they don't make it it's not even possible to find. Any potential alternatives you can find would require a huge amount of custom work just to get them to fit on the door, and even then there's no guarantee they're going to work.

I am sorry that we can't be of more help.

Thanks for the followup.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.