Replacement external tilt latches for broken Boreal internal latches

A quick learner from Portland, ME says:
Hi,
I'm looking to replace a couple of broken Boreal internal tilt latches with some external ones.
The narrowest width of the window is 1 9/16".
I think I could use the 26-410 or 26-344. Which would you recommend, or would you recommend another set?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0904.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0905.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for posting. I agree, the 26-410 would be a good candidate. These are different than other surface-mount latches in that they just screw on. We have a video tutorial that shows how we do this. We find it to be an easier solution for sashes like yours. Let me know what you think! 

Thanks for the advice. Is there a screw type you'd recommend to attache the latch?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

With these surface-mounted tilt latches, we've recommended a #8 screw like the 33-090 in the past; but this can depend as much on the thickness of the sash frame as the tilt latches. We also sell the 33-300, which is a pack of assorted screws if you aren't certain what size you need. 

Hi, I got the #26-410. Unfortunately, when I popped the cover from the old latch I saw that the second screw hole of the #26-410 is over the opening for the old latch. And would thus screw into a moving part of the old latch, which doesn't seem secure enough. Would it be ok? or:

- Is there a surface mounted latch where the second screw hole is less than 2 1/2" from the front edge of the latch?
- Or could I glue a vinyl layer on top and then screw into that? If so do you sell suitable patches and glue?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0911.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0912.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can help. I believe you can use still use the 26-410 latches with the hidden screw. You would first tilt the sash in, unscrew the hidden screw and slide out the internal latch. Place the sash back in the window frame and place the 26-410 on top of the sash. Drill a hole for the front hole and use the old hole for the back screw on the latch.

Thanks Paul - unfortunately the position of the hidden screw made that unfeasible, and it turned out there was another hidden screw in the way of where the front hole of the external latch was. So in the end I had to pull off the top panel to remove the internal latches. Without those in the way it was easy to attach the external latch.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)